Join now - be part of our community!

windows xp mis reporting memory

flyingdocuk
Visitor

windows xp mis reporting memory

I have a oldish but very reliable RX403NG running windows xp home service pack 2 build 2600
I recently decided to splash out on some new memory and having found the board would accommodate a maximum of 1536mb went and ordered 2 extra 512 simms.
These installed no problem and the bios recognised and memory checked them no problem and yet when I right click on the computer icon and click properties - windows reports that I only have 1gb of memory.
If I check the system information it reports my total physical memory at 1536 and my available memory as 500.89 (where has all the memory gone) but still in the device manager I still only seem to have 1gb of memory

can this be rectified?
Is it worth bothering with - or is it insignificant?

thanks for looking

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

How much RAM should you have?

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

He has mixed a 1024MB SO-DIMM with a 512MB SO-DIMM.

Download Everest Home Edition .

Start Everest and click "Motherboard" > "Memory"

There you can see the correct physically RAM.
If it's 1536MB then you can ignore the information of the windows report.

BTW: If you have a shared graphicscard then you must add the VRAM to the physically RAM.

kee-lo_

Ahh I see

flyingdocuk
Visitor

I have not mixed up 1024 with 512 - my mb has 3 slots, each of which holds a 512mb simm. the bios finds it ok and the msinfo32 finds it ok - its only windows that is a little short sighted and only reports 1gb memory

I have a seperate radeon9600 agp graphics card so the memory is not shared there either

thanks for looking

flyingdocuk
Visitor

Have just run everest as you suggested and it is reporting only 1024mb of ram - but it is also detecting all 3 512 simms in situ
they are all pc2100 dds sdram and are identical in all respects except for one of then is a different manufacturer all else is compatible - so what is going on???

seb21__
Visitor

Mmmh, start the Task manager and look at the pysical RAM.

Do you see 1048576KB or 1572864KB RAM. Maybe your VAIO supports on 1GB RAM. :thinking:

kee-lo_

Does it have shared graphics?

seb21__
Visitor

He has seperade Graphics card. Would me interstesting what is that for a thing. A USB graphicc ard? LOL, that would surprise me.

kee-lo_

Ooops sorry, missed that bit...

What does it say in the BIOS? If that says the correct data then I wouldn't worry about it.