Join now - be part of our community!

wireless connection problem with BT Home Hub

japanman
Visitor

wireless connection problem with BT Home Hub

Hi,

I recently purchased my vaio n38e with vista and am having a problem with my wireless connection to my BT Homehub. If I want to get online, I need to go through the following process:
Start, Connect To, Home Hub, right click, connect, properties, and then type in the key code and then click o.k.. Then, yes, I get on line but obviously not ideal!
If I click on LAN at the bottom right of my screen, it tells me that:

'the frequency band of 2.4 GHz wireless LAN and 5GHz wireless LAN are not compatible, PLEASE SWITCH SYSTEMS TO THE SAME FREQUENCY'.

I assume I'm not the only vaio/BT Home Hub consumer with this problem? Any advice please??

2 REPLIES 2
martynrb
Visitor

Hi japanman.
I also use BT homehub and have a SZ5.
I don't have the same problems as you, and all I need to do is 'Connect or Disconnect', then select BT homehub.
However, if you double click the Wireless Switch Setting Utility (green LAN box, bottom right) do you have both the wireless boxes ticked?
As the software box tells you, they are not compatible for use together, and you just need to select 2.4GHz to access your homehub.
Good luck, Martyn.

japanman
Visitor

Hi Martyn,

First, of all thanks for your suggestion. With regard to your question, all I have when I double click on the LAN box is the quote that I gave below regarding lack of compatability; there is only one box - the 2.4GHz one which exists and that one is ticked. And, when Ive tried to explore the matter I'm told that 'windows cannot find the host name "btyahoo.com" using DNS, windows found a problem that cannot be repaired automatically'. Basically, everything is telling me to contact the manufacturer - Sony - so I guess I'm gonna try and find out how to do that. I have left details on their e-support but so far no reponse. do let me know if you have any other suggestions though!
Cheers.