Join now - be part of our community!

Wireless G Networking

rmackinnon
Visitor

Wireless G Networking

Hi Folks,

I thought I knew my way around networking in an amateur sort of way but I just can't seem to wireless network my notebooks together and was wondering if anyone can assist at all.

I have a Linksys WAG54G router/Modem connected to both my Vaio A217S running windows XP and my Compaq Armada Notebook running windows ME by means of a Linksys wireless G card.

Both machines happily run the Internet and mail independently but when I attempt to link the machines together in order to transfer files I just can't get them to see each other on "my network places". I have run the wizard on both machines but to no avail. Even attempting to connect the machines together by cable either via the 1394 connection or via the ethernet cabling to the router ports has no effect. Neither machine will see the other. I have tried disabling the Norton Firewall, Running the wizards and adding each machine as a network place but neither can find the other. Maybe my basic knowledge of interconnectivity is wrong but I would greatly appreciate any assistance. In addition I can't connect my HP IPAQ 5550 to the machine wirelessly to the notebooks either. Again it will run the internet but I can't see any files on the machines. Please help!!!

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Welcome to the ClubVAIO,

Sorry my english isn't the best, but I think that what you need is a "peer to peer" or "ad hoc" connection to a other PC. That is correct?

rmackinnon
Visitor

Hi seb21,
I suspect that your english is better than my German. Thanks for your response I do require a connection to another PC in order to transfer files. My router is set to infrastructure mode which I think should allow communication between machines. I can set up a connection to the other machine from my vaio but I cannot access the files or even see the directories. I'm not sure that the connection I have set up gives me sufficient access to allow me to do this. My initial thoughts were that it was a problem between Win ME and XP but now I am not so sure.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Hmmm, according to Linksys Support you need Windows 2000 or Windows XP to run Wireless Networking with the WAG54G Hardware...

You could try upgrading, but Windows 2000 is probably more expensive than Windows XP now, well it is at Staples anyway...

A shot in the dark - try setting the WPA/WEP keys to the same on all computers, and the ESSID to "ANY" (sans quotes).

Failing that I have no idea...

seb21__
Visitor

Mmh, you can't read a file on a other PC when the file isn't released.

But when a file is released, all people can read this file.
(It's better you configure an tunnel) But may be I lie wrongly.

Sorry I don't know.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

When was Windows 2000 ever cheap? :laughing:

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

LOL True - nothing "Microsoft" is ever cheap - especially Office 2003 Small Business or Professional Edition... £324.00 and £412.00 respectively...:smileylaugh:

seb21__
Visitor

Linux Pro 9.2 cost 90¿:smileygrin:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

My step father paid £360 for Office from Dabs
Which was good compared to the £412 it is in stores.