Join now - be part of our community!

Wireless Internet on pcgk315s

OllieDeane
Visitor

Wireless Internet on pcgk315s

Im just after buying my very 1st laptop. While exploring it i found a few folders with wireless details and stuff. Im jus wondering does any1 know can I access the internet at Wireless hotspots with my pcgk315s laptop?

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Usually you have to get an account.
Then they give you the info to connect to the network.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Yes you have to pay and they will give you the connection details.

Interesting on/off-topic note, I was using the my laptop in the car the other day driving through Reading (I wasn't driving!) and just for kicks I thought I'd scan for wireless networks as we drove through. What an eye opener, up to maybe 10 networks available just sitting in the middle of the road, and maybe half of the ones I found were complely unsecured. Using nothing other than XP, I managed to sign onto someone elses network twice to check my email when we stopped at traffic lights. Unbelievable. And I even picked up what appeared to be the network belonging to what must have been a car driving somewhere behind us because it appeared most of the way around town. Do mobile devices now act as wireless hubs? It was called T-Mobile which is a giveaway I guess.

Less worrying and much funnier is the names that people gave their networks. Some were dopey enough to use their addresses (!), some sad-act called his network "Iamsogreat" but the best of all was someone who named their network "Bikinibottoms."

A thoroughly entertaining trip all in all I recommend it :smileygrin:.

kee-lo_

Not suprised TT, a lot of people have no idea about securing their networks against people using them.

Its cool though, because you can surf using their bandwidth and you're never far away from an open network.

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

How funny (and scary)

*changes name of network*

kee-lo_

I did see once an unsecured network running a few streets away, apparently it's a server some guy shares with his friend two doors away. :laughing:

TygerTyger
Visitor

The thing that surprised me most is that I could do it just driving down the street. Really I just recommended it as a bit of fun for long journeys lol.

Twizted, please tell me what your network was called lol.

kee-lo_

A friend of mine used to do that too Tyger.

OllieDeane
Visitor

So with this laptop I can go into my college and register and can access their network and go online? sorry im not sure bout this.

TygerTyger
Visitor

It really depends if they are offering that option. You will have to ask the college.