Join now - be part of our community!

Wireless not working after Windows Vista Update

profile.country.en_GB.title
andysmeeuk
Visitor

Wireless not working after Windows Vista Update

Been googling and trying to fix this problem for three hours but to no avail.

I've had my Vaio VGN-AR61M for two years (maybe three) and it came with Vista. It has been connected to my home network for over a year.

Last weekend a Windows Update went in, KB2158563, KB2362765 and a Silverlight update.

Then on Monday I was using the laptop, connected to the network, when the wireless dropped out. I noticed that the wireless indicator was not lit even though the wireless switch was on. Now, after numerous reboots, I have no wireless and can't get the wireless light to come on.

I've uninstalled each update in turn, a reboot after each, no change. I've uninstalled the Wireless Switch Utility, the Virgin Media Connection Manager, checked for Registry keys for thrid party Lan managers and still I can't get the wireless to come back.

Has anyone else experienced this this week?

Also, and perhaps related, since the 16th Sept windows updates I've had the NVidia drivers blue screen twice (nvlddmkm.sys) could this be related? I downloaded the latest nvidia drivers after that event

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Have you checked that the software wireless switch is set to 2.4 GHz Wireless LAN?  If not click on the small green square in the System Tray and make sure the box next to the 2.4 GHz Wireless LAN is checked and the other boxes unchecked.  If you have uninstalled the Wireless Switch Setting Utility, you will have to reinstall it.

Failing that working, try reinstalling the Intel Wireless LAN Driver.

Both the WSSU and the Intel driver are available here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-AR61M

For the graphics driver, what verion of the nVidia driver do you have installed?

:thinking: