Join now - be part of our community!

WLAN bug with my VGN-S1XP

Hummer2k1
Visitor

WLAN bug with my VGN-S1XP

Hi,
My WLAN is totaly unstable and always was. i mean the windows XP SP2 wireless signal strengh is all the time moving even when i m in front of my router. and i m disconnected from my LAN most of the time.... :slight_frown:
Anyone knows this bug or what to do?

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Keep the WLAN away from mobile phones.

Hummer2k1
Visitor

thx for replying so fast
i tried that too but unsucessfull ...:smileycry:

stevep-4
Visitor

Keep the router away from everything which could cause interference. Such as loud-speakers, LCD screens, CRT screens.

I found having mine close to my house phone (cordless rechargeable) gave problems. I now have the router sat on top of my tower (still not ideal, but it works ok there).

Try setting up your router so that your laptop (or desktop if you have that set to wireless) is an "approved" connection.

Hummer2k1
Visitor

ok thanx a lot i'll try :wink:

Foxhound
Visitor

It is prolly your Intel wireless lan power save function. Switch it of and try and see if it helps for you.
Go to: START -> CONTROL PANEL -> SYSTEM -> HARDWARE TAB -> DEVICE MANAGER
In the DEVICE MANAGER window find the "INTEL(R) PRO/100 NETWORK CONNECTION" right click "properties"
In the POWER MANAGEMENT tab untab the "allow the computer to turn of this device to save power" box.
This will prolly help your problem.

Good luck
:slight_smile:

Hummer2k1
Visitor

i just switch the power managment off as u told me
i ll see and i ll let u know
thx again u guyz for helping me :slight_smile:

ianwood
Visitor

I don't know of any problems on the radio side of the 2200BG chipset that is used in this model. My signal strength has been reasonable even with mobile and DECT (2.4GHz) cordless and bluetooth active nearby.

Where THERE IS A KNOWN PROBLEM with this machine's wireless is the WPA implementation. It is buggy and causes a BSOD on occasion. It is a known bug in the Centrino 2200BG chipset. Intel has new drivers out for it but Sony hasn't yet made them available as far as I can see.

backfiredog
Visitor

I got the same laptop, often loose connection with ISP no problem with the laptop so far

Hummer2k1
Visitor

thx cause my WLAN signal strengh is still moving....:smileycry: