Join now - be part of our community!

XP Pro and VGN - FS115B

peter.andaluz
Visitor

XP Pro and VGN - FS115B

Could someone tell me if its true that this machine will not take an installation of xp pro due to its internal architecture?

we bought one tried to upgrade it to pro to connect it to our servers and some hardware doesnt work.

regards in advance
Peter

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Peter: I am so sure someone posted the link, I can't find it though.................

Atika: Unless you need advanced networking and domain server access you really don't need to get a new laptop for XP Pro.

Akita
Visitor

Peter: I am so sure someone posted the link, I can't find it though.................

Atika: Unless you need advanced networking and domain server access you really don't need to get a new laptop for XP Pro.

:slight_smile: sorry to sound so bumb but what is advanced networking? would that only be used in a buissness enviroment? it's nothing to to with networking at home is it?
thanks.:smileygrin:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yes the extra features in XP Pro are not really needed at home.

iSix
Visitor

I haven't had a problem installing XP pro on mine (I *hate* xp home and all the junk sony install).
I'll be installing freeBSD on a second partition next week and dual-boot the two.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

LOL, You wouldn't need the most features of XP Pro. What you want do with your PC. For Home using, XP Home is more than enough.

I'll be installing freeBSD on a second partition next week and dual-boot the two.
Hehe, I wish you fun with the installation. Don't forget that Unix, Linux, Gnu and CO. only recognize 32MB RAM of your NVIDEA graphicscard. The Intel GM graphic could have problems with OpenGL. One my PCG-FR it works only in Software Mode which is really slow.:smileytongue:

mvanwambeke
Visitor

If you do change OS, don't delete the hidden partition with the recovery information. I might always be usefull in the future.

And make a backup of the folder c:/drivers and of c:/ultils
You can always download them as well, but just to be on the safe side ...

iSix
Visitor

You wouldn't need the most features of XP Pro

I do :tongue:

Hehe, I wish you fun with the installation. Don't forget that Unix, Linux, Gnu and CO. only recognize 32MB RAM of your NVIDEA graphicscard. The Intel GM graphic could have problems with OpenGL. One my PCG-FR it works only in Software Mode which is really slow.:smileytongue:

I've not had a problem with another notebook with integrated intel graphics... I'll have to see how it goes.

If you do change OS, don't delete the hidden partition with the recovery information.

Already done, bit pointless really. If the HDD dies, how are you going to recover from a recovery partition on that disk? :tongue:

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

I've not had a problem with another notebook with integrated intel graphics... I'll have to see how it goes.

That would interest me. The Radeon IGP makes me problems there.:smileygrin:

peter.andaluz
Visitor

I have been told that the machine cannot be upgraded to pro as the home version is SP2 and the upgrade version is SP1 so when you try to upgrade it just says that you cannot upgrade as a newer version is installed.

Please help I am tearing my hair out on this one and Sony are as much help as a brick.

Question is whoever upgraded or put the full install of pro on which drivers did you use to get the thing working?

regards in advance
Peter

Stephanius
Visitor

I have been told that the machine cannot be upgraded to pro as the home version is SP2 and the upgrade version is SP1 so when you try to upgrade it just says that you cannot upgrade as a newer version is installed.

Please help I am tearing my hair out on this one and Sony are as much help as a brick.

Question is whoever upgraded or put the full install of pro on which drivers did you use to get the thing working?

regards in advance
Peter

As I told you above, you need an XP pro disc in the same language version and service pack as the existing home installation that you want to upgrade.

It does not have to be labeled as upgrade version, it will give that option anyway.

The easiest way to get one of those is to go into a shop and buy a new XP pro retail box that does include SP2.