z600hek i need to change the hard disk -please help

loaded18
Visitor

z600hek i need to change the hard disk -please help

help anyone?

13 REPLIES 13
loaded18
Visitor

i HAVE removed the keyoard but i think the hinges will need to be removed and i am stuck there..help anyone?

loaded18
Visitor

finally i get a reply from e-support->

Thank you for contacting us. Sony does not offer the opportunity to upgrade any hardware part of the VAIOs, except for the RAM memory. If you want to upgrade the internal hardware of your VAIO by yourself, you can of course do so, but we cannot offer you any assistance. You can find all technical information which can be communicated on our website www.vaio-link.com. All other information, including the service manuals of your VAIO, are for internal use only. Please note that upgrading the internal hardware of your VAIO might render your recovery disks unusable, as they might no longer recognise your VAIO as being a VAIO; this can make the installation of your OEM Operating System impossible. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

not much help there then..

William
Visitor

There is a good site for workshop manuals here:

http://www.webspeedway.com/vaio/

You do have to register but this is quick.

Please remember these are for USA models so you won't find the same model but by looking you may identify your series with a different model number.

good luck

William

loaded18
Visitor

:cry: hi guys, can any of you guys tell me if it is at all possible to load a new OS (win xp) without the replicator port or ext sony cd or sony ext floppy- i just have the laptop z600hek (z505 in us) with a hdd that bios reports 'NO OPERATING SYSTEM' , i tried plugging in a USB ext cd rom but no where in the bios setup allows boot from usb?! any idea? :thinking:

i tried an external CD to boot but no boot from USB in bios menu?

thanks in advance

my plan was to replace the hdd with one that has xp installed and go from there via the USB
btw ,thanks William - i am waiting for the activation code from that site.

William
Visitor

Sony laptops will only boot from a Sony manufactured external floppy drive (expensive), please check in accessory matcher for the correct one as I think there is more than one now.

My laptops don't have the option to boot from USB either, but they do have inbuilt cd-roms which make it easy to recover from your situation.

Preinstalling XP onto your HDD first will work.

I am guessing but I am sure your laptop would boot from the PCMCIA CDROM supplied with your notyebook (based on the assumption you have CD's for recovery).

Best wishes,

Willaim

TygerTyger
Visitor

Sony laptops will only boot from a Sony manufactured external floppy drive (expensive)

Are you absolutely sure that's true? Only Sony floppy drives? That's so hard to believe, they won't win any popularity contests with that attitude....

William
Visitor

Tyger,

Yes its true, or certainly was when I purchased one. There is something "special" about Sony floppy external drives.

You might be able to read and save to a generic floppy drive (never tried) but they won't boot.

William

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

There's an ID chip inside Sony FDDs

profile.country.GB.title
Gish_X
Explorer