Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting WH-1000XM4 to a non-Sony TV?

profile.country.GB.title
dkaye43
Explorer

Connecting WH-1000XM4 to a non-Sony TV?

Hello all, I have a pair of WH-1000XM4 headphones and want to use them to listen to my television. Though pretty new, the TV (a Panasonic TX-40EX700B) doesn't have Bluetooth. Could anyone tell me what adaptor I would need to enable the TV to connect to the headphones? I've tried a simple USB Bluetooth adaptor but couldn't get anywhere with that. Any ideas welcome!  

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @dkaye43,

you could always use a Bluetooth dongle which connects to the 3.5mm headphones output of your TV and pair the headphones with it.

Just make sure it supports Bluetooth 5 protocol.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
dkaye43
Explorer

Dear Nic,

Very many (but belated) thanks for your advice on this question. I did indeed buy a bluetooth adaptor for the 3.5mm headphone output of the television. It's a Trond adaptor and it seems to work well, except for one thing: for some reason the volume control on the headphones will not work, whether or not the TV sound output itself is muted. And the volume control for the TV on its remote control has no effect on the volume coming through the headphones. Do you know why this might be and how I can solve the problem?

Thanks and best wishes

Paul (for David)

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @dkaye43,

can you check whether the "headphones volume" needs to be adjusted in a sub-menu of your TV? For my old TV it was this way - having headphones connected did not "mute" the TVs speaker output and the headphones volume needed to be adjusted in a menu not directly reachable - which made the output great for connecting it to my old stereo (as it always output the same volume and I could adjust it on the stereo afterwards).

For your dongle though I don't know how this is solved - have you checked how the output behaves when you connect the headphones directly via cable and adjust the volume then? Maybe there it is possible to adjust the volume with the remote - if that is the case, then maybe the dongle just doesn't have this feature and you might want to try another dongle which offers this functionality.

- Nic