Join now - be part of our community!

NWZ-W202 not installing correctly

profile.country.en_GB.title
DrTanner
Visitor

NWZ-W202 not installing correctly

So I just bought a new NWZ-W202 (secondhand, never used, technically new) since my old one of a few years finally gave up the ghost. I like this model better than the new one. Don't judge me. ._.

I've got a problem now wherein the device isn't being properly recognised by my computer (WinXP, I have WMP11 installed). When the PC's starting up and listing its connected devices before Windows starts, if the Walkman is connected it lists it as SONY WALKMAN 1.0 just like normal and the light on the unit will pulse to show it's connected and charging, but once Windows starts I start having issues.

The "Found New Hardware" bubble will pop up and say "WALKMAN" for a moment, but it seems to correct itself and say "MTP Device" instead. The bubble will then pop up repeatedly with the device apparently not being recognised for long enough for it to install properly. It'll keep doing that indefinitely until I disconnect the device myself, at which point it'll tell me the installation failed and my device might not work properly.

It's not recognised by my PC for long enough that it appears in My Computer, and it causes Device Manager to refresh constantly while it connects over and over again. If I uninstall the drivers and reconnect it, the same thing happens again.

Please help. I need my music. 😧

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.cs_CZ.title
K-tice
Visitor

I had the same problem and looks like I found the solution.

1) When the bubble pops up, click it - this will start the hardware update wizard.

2) Select you don't want to search the drivers online, click Next.

3) Select "Browse my computer for driver software", click Next.

4) Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", click Next.

5) In the list of instalation options, select "USB mass storage driver", click Next.

6) Finish the instalation.

Hopefully this will fix, if helped me at least.

profile.country.en_GB.title
DrTanner
Visitor

I did this.

Now my Walkman won't play music at all. When I press play it just beeps like it normally does when I put new files onto it, except that instead of beeping six or seven times and then playing music, it just beeps forever until it turns itself off.

Thanks for that.