Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM2 Microphone in the headphone cable

SOLVED
profile.country.IE.title
atoikkan
Explorer

WH-1000XM2 Microphone in the headphone cable

Hi, 

Does the unit has a Microphone in the headphone cable?

Any plans of adding that even as a add-on, the microphone in the cable would be quite useful in the office environment making calls.

regards,

Aleksi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

Sorry but it's not correct @IamNic, 1000XM2 as many other sony headphones  has deeper jack in hole so 90% of "normal" jack cable won't fit. The cable you recommend in your link won't fit because it cant be inserted fully into the headphone

People who is looking for a compatible cable needs to look for a body plug that is as thin as the plug itself to be compatible with Sony headphones

like this one: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KetDirect-Replacement-Headphone-Headset-Microphone/dp/B01DYGKTDE/ref=sr_1_1...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @atoikkan,

you should be able to use any cable with in-line microphone with the headphones, since they have a standard 3.5mm audio jack.

Something like this should work: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0738455WV

Be aware, that your computers port would need to support the TRRS-audio jack on his side though.

Otherwise you would need a different cable.

- Nic

profile.country.IE.title
atoikkan
Explorer

Thanks Nic!

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

You're welcome @atoikkan

profile.country.GB.title
Goodwin1112
Explorer

I purchased the wh-1000xm2 in April 18. They are superb for listening to music when using noise reduction. However, they are all but unusable for making phone calls because the mics pick up all ambient sound.  The receiver of the call can not hear what is being said as my voice is overwhelmed by any other sound in the office or on the street. I have had to revert to using my Bose noise reduction headphones. I notice from the forum posts that this problem might be overcome by plugging in a noise reduction mic into the 3.5 mm jack socket. Is this the case and do Sony sell such a mic

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

Sorry but it's not correct @IamNic, 1000XM2 as many other sony headphones  has deeper jack in hole so 90% of "normal" jack cable won't fit. The cable you recommend in your link won't fit because it cant be inserted fully into the headphone

People who is looking for a compatible cable needs to look for a body plug that is as thin as the plug itself to be compatible with Sony headphones

like this one: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KetDirect-Replacement-Headphone-Headset-Microphone/dp/B01DYGKTDE/ref=sr_1_1...

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @Sonyvores,

I don't see how the TRS side of the cable you linked is thinner than the one I linked.

The TRRS side is not plugged into the headphones, just to be clear.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

@IamNic

jack.jpg

see it now? yours' too thick, won't fit in Sony headphone.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Sonyvores,

thanks for the clarification, it is easier to see on the original connector.

- Nic

Kostis-K
New

I just bought the WH-1000XM2 headset. My main usage would be skype and zoom calls in the office where I have to listen and be heard clearly. To that scope I decided to purchase some quality and expensive headset.

I am shocked by the headset's mic. As Goodwin1112 says for some reason the mic manages to collect every single noise from the environment (office, street, etc) and somehow my voice barely stands out. Recorded some testing audio so as to realise it for myself. Never thought I would get that result in that price... In calls I can be heard 10 times better with a plain hands-free.

No exaggeration, unfortunately (for me, my money and Sony).