Join now - be part of our community!

WH1000-XM4 Speak to Chat defaulting to ON

profile.country.GB.title
NonhumanHominid

WH1000-XM4 Speak to Chat defaulting to ON

I’m pretty certain that the default used to be ‘OFF’. I don’t know whether it’s something I’ve done, or whether the default was changed with the last firmware update, but it’s annoying. I now have to remember to switch it off via the app every time I use the headphones. It’s not a feature, being autistic, I’ll ever get much use from.

What do I need to do to reset them so that they return to defaulting to ‘Speak to Chat OFF’…? 

Thank you

Sarah

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @NonhumanHominid,

you can also switch it off by covering the right earcup.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
NonhumanHominid

How is informing me of this (something I knew but forgot to mention) in any way at all helpful…?! They used to default to ‘OFF’. This is what I need them to do now. If I turn Speak-to-Chat off via a gesture, it will switch itself back on the next time I come to use the headphones (same as it does when I switch it off via the app).

Gesture vs turning it off via the app is no different - it’s only temporary for that session. Turn them off and it will default back to ‘ON’ again the next time I come to use them. It’s exceedingly annoying.

So can anyone answer my question: how do I get Speak-to-Chat to stay switched off, unless I specifically switch it on…? I never use it, I never will use it. I need it turned off permanently, please. 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Sorry, I just tried to help, it did sound to me like you were most annoyed about the step of navigating into the app and I couldn't possible know you are aware of that (since usually people do NOT know that you can do that as an alternative method).

Don't know why the behavior changed. Maybe a reset will help.

But sorry - with that attitude, I won't assist you further.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi, If Speak-to-Chat is enabled beforehand, the Speak-to-Chat mode starts automatically when you talk to someone. That means the default depends on your own setting. Try initializing the headphones as follows: https://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/wh1000xm4/v1/en/contents/TP0002752746.html