Join now - be part of our community!

Advice for tablet purchase please.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
droppix
Visitor

Advice for tablet purchase please.

I am expecting my tablet tomorrow, still not to sure why I made the purchase but the styling is very appealing and the price seemed about right for my first time venture into the android world.Time will tell.

Not to sure what os version will be installed when i recieve it, but in case it requires updating to 4.3 from  Android 3.2 what would the general advice be on the subject.

Reading posts of late on updating,it appears to be risky though I must admit that it may not be the case for the majority of owners of the tablets.Would help me if members or others could give their opinion please and help a silver server on the right path.

Thankyou in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mpattenden
New

droppix,

Welcome to the forum.

I personally have had no issues got my tablet the day after release - real bleeding edge and have no regrets. It's not an ipad but I didn't want one of those.

I bought because I wanted something different based on Android, the universal remote, the expandable memory via sd card etc.

There are a few more comments on upgrade on this thread:

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/thread/164046?tstart=30

Hope you enjoy your purchase.

Regards

Padster

Message was edited by: mpattenden

trying to get link correct

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mpattenden
New

droppix,

Welcome to the forum.

I personally have had no issues got my tablet the day after release - real bleeding edge and have no regrets. It's not an ipad but I didn't want one of those.

I bought because I wanted something different based on Android, the universal remote, the expandable memory via sd card etc.

There are a few more comments on upgrade on this thread:

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/thread/164046?tstart=30

Hope you enjoy your purchase.

Regards

Padster

Message was edited by: mpattenden

trying to get link correct

eumitch13
New

Hi this is my first post so be kind. Ive been a sony man for as long as I can remember. If it's tech then it's gota be sony. none of this ipad stuff for me. I have been using a xperia phone for some time but am stuck with the x8, although I want the Xperia S. or the SL if it's still aroud when my contract is out! Anyway, I fancy a tablet and was looking at the Tablet S but now there is a new Xperia S coming out soon and I am not sure whether it is worth paying the extra for the new version or getting one of the older versions at a knock down price? Also not sure whether it's best to go for the 32gb against the 16gb versions. I think the memory is expandable by using the SD card (not available on the ipad I think) Do any of them have a USB ?

Is it possible to download films to a SD card

It's getting confusing?

Advice please!

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

Whether you get the new or not is up to you, but if you can afford it then get the new one.

You could get the 16gb version then buy an SD card. I went for 32 instead of 64 and then bought a 32gb SD card.

You can put films on the SD card, but as for downloading that depends on where you're getting them from. Films from either Sony or Google will go onto the internal memory

droppix
Visitor

Many thanks Padster,

for your post,link and welcome.Very helpful and appreciated.

After arrival of the tablet and a check over I followed it up with a full charge.I decided not to bother investigating  the tablet to much as the update option came up after setting up wifi connection straight away.

Update to 4.0.3 release 2a was straight forward enough but was caught out for a second when the android and graphics appeared during the rebooting process.

Maybe I was expecting an apple or something! but all was ok.

Problem with Google play not connecting similar to what others may have experienced  which took a few hours to sort out due to me not being up to speed with Android but all appears ok.

A bit of catching up still to do but it is fun now.

Very impressed overall with the Sony/ s tablet so again many thanks for the input/help

Padster.

Regards Jim.