Join now - be part of our community!

Has anyone had a GOOD experience with the Xperia launch fault

profile.country.en_GB.title
paulell45
Explorer

Has anyone had a GOOD experience with the Xperia launch fault

Hi,

The title say's is all really. Most, may be all of us who purchased an Xperia S Tablet at launch were sold a faulty unit. Sony told, what are presumably,  as early adopters, some of their most loyal customers, that there was a problem with water resistance with the tablet. We were asked to wait for a few weeks and eventually it was confirmed that tablets had to be returned by courier for repair. This was meant to take 5 working days. Has anyone had their tablet back yet? Is there anyone whose tablet isn't waiting for parts? Has anyone managed to get Sony to actually offer a refund? Has anyone been offered a brand new tablet to replace a faulty unit?

I'm not going to threaten never to purchase Sony hardware again. I'm based in the UK and have e-mailed the BBC consumer programme Watchdog about the selling of a faulty product not fit for purpose, reluctance to offer a refund, refusal to offer a new replacement, and a recall with no parts in place to affect a repair. I received a callback today and am speaking to a researcher again on Monday. If you are in a similar position post here as they may be interested in your experiences as well.

:anguished:

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

hi Paul,

I have had very poor experiences with the Sony Store and the telephone helpline. See my thread below .

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/thread/170347?start=0&tstart=0

The day after  purchased, I was told by the Sony Store, that the Xperia Tablet needs to be returned for repair! 

One day is use!!!!    The Sony Store has not offered any helpful advice.

I have called the Sony telephone helpline  and have been promised call-backs, but nothing.  

I would be happy to talk to your researcher too if he or she wanted to call me.  

I have sent you a private message...!

fee.666

skimpychimpy
Visitor

I too would be happy to talk to a researcher as well. My issues have been fairly well documented here: https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/thread/172403?start=30&tstart=0 from the initital problems to the situation I find myself in now: over 2 weeks without a tablet and no contact from Sony, unless I have intitiated it.they have promised replacements but have never delivered.

I am starting a legal compensaion claim against Sony for the not fit for purpose item which they sold me but more so for the way they have handled the entire situation!

pauglove41
Visitor

I bought mine from Amazon. When I checked the serial number it came up as one that was potentially at fault. I spoke to Sony (who were very helpful) but I was told that if a fault was found, it would be repaired. I was also told that if there was no fault then I would be charged for diagnostics. After all this I decided that returning it to Amazon was the best option and getting a refund.

Returned it to Amazon and received refund and today successfully bought a Nexus 10.

I will buy from Sony again, but I won't just jump in like I did with the Tablet

Mashawan
Visitor

Hi,

I have most definately not had a good experience.  My tablet stopped working a few days after I purchased it direct from Sony in September. 

Sony have refused many times to give me a refund.  I have been told to wait until the repair is complete before I can get a refund.  The only problem is, there is no longer an estimated date for the repair.

So day 54 and counting, no tablet, no refund, no replacement, no apologies.

profile.country.GB.title
AnnoyedWithSonyUK

I think it is now safe to say Sony have failed in the tablet market. My original S is still woking reasonably well. Locks up evey now and again but looks like any further support is nonexistant (see my post on original S PSU and the one by Thalamus on Jelly Bean). I wonder how long they will support the Xperia as sales will now be very poor.

paulell45
Explorer

What I find most remarkable is that Sony think that they can get away with refusing to give refunds for a product that they admit was faulty at launch. In view of the new information posted here I'm going to ask my credit card company to freeze payment. I think a copy of this thread will help them agree. I'll post what happens.

In the meantime if you are in the UK could you consider registering a complaint on the Watchdog website. The more people who do the better chance they will take Sony to task.

Finally despite getting a garbled call saying parts had arrived to repair my tablet online it still shows parts awaited!

Mashawan
Visitor

I sumbited my story to watchdog.  Hopefully enough people will join in.

I tried to speak to a supervisor to escalate, and I was refused.  Also I tried to resiter a complaint, but was given a bogus email address to write too!

Unbelievable behaviour from Sony.  I get access to corporate lawyers as part of my company benefits so I am going to start legal action today.

Good luck everyone!

paulell45
Explorer

I'm now awaiting a form from by credit card company to formally dispute the debit charge for the tablet.

profile.country.GB.title
fee.666
Explorer

Paul,  any news from Watchdog?

Hi Thalamus,

just received an email from Sony Support telling me to update to release 6 and it will solve the issues.

I can pm you the persons name if you want me to.

Amazing to wait and wait just to get that kind of response, especially as I already told them I had updated to release 6!!

fee.666