Join now - be part of our community!

Hotmail problems since ICS update

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
GeoffNT
Visitor

Hotmail problems since ICS update

on top of the SD card write problems that ICS has caused, I'm also having email connection problems to my hotmail account since the update. I get a server connection error whenever it syncs. I have tried deleting the account and re-installing, but get the same error. I can login to the account via the web fine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Reading around a bit today and yesterday evening it seems that this is not unique to thee Sony Tablet S or even Android's ICS so not sure Sony are the ones who wil be able to fix this to be honest..

Further reading here - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/hotmail-sync/hotmail-sync-eas-broken-on-mobile-...

It seems that MS are suggesting people try using the hotmail (Microsoft + Seven) App which may be the way forward for those having a problem at least until MS address the server issues..

Call me cynical but perhaps it's MS plan for you all to buy their new tablet.. 😉

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
leedsguy2012
Visitor

hi there you are not the only one having same problem, hope it can be sorted at some point.

GeoffNT
Visitor

Considering how long we have waited for the ics update I am very disappointed at the number of bugs that I'm finding. What were Sony doing for all these months? It clearly wasn't testing. So far for me it is not worth the change as I had a lot of the ics desktop features by using ADW anyway. The only real plus for me is the mini remote window feature, but I would give that up for a bug free platform.

reg6ft3
Explorer

I guess we have to learn to live with all these bugs as I def don't see another update coming. As much as I refuse to buy an Apple product, there is no way Sony will become a major player in the tablet market with these type of updates and not engaging with their customers with comms

profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

in what way are you connecting to your hotmail account? imap? pop? exchange?

GeoffNT
Visitor

It seems to be OK now. I deleted the account details, re-booted and then entered the account again as a new account and it does now work ok. I don't know exactly how it connects (imap/pop/exchange) as I just put in my hotmail address and password and it did the rest automatically. My Gmail account was failing to connect for a while too at the same time, but that now seems to be OK without me changing anything. Maybe a server was down somewhere? Odd though as I could still connect through my phone and PC to the hotmail account.

GeoffNT
Visitor

Having just typed that, I am now getting the same error as before when I try to sync the hotmail account. It says "Couldn't open connection to server (GT Hotmail)". My wifi connection is fine.

GeoffNT
Visitor

I have set the account up using the automatic option but it appears to have chosen all of the same options you have suggested above. I don't think it is a setup problem as it works fine sometimes but then occasionally gives the error shown above regarding the server connection. If the problem persists I will recreate the account manually using the settings you give but I have a lot of folders/emails on this account and it takes a long time to sync from scratch.

Skodge
Visitor

I am also having the same issue, come on Sony help us out here.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi GeoffNT,

not sure what settings you are using but does anything help from the guide below..

The following should allow you to set up your hotmail account on the Sony tablet..

Go to Settings & click on add an Account.

Type your full Hotmail email address & then enter your password

Then click Manual setup.

On the next screen click on Exchange.

Next to Domain/Name delete what's currently shown and enter your full hotmail email address.

Skip the password line as this should be correct.

Next to Server change to m.hotmail.com

Then below Server option make sure that Use secure connection (SSL) IS selected & that Accept all SSL certificates is NOT selected.

Click Next.

You can change any of the following settings if you wish or simply click next if you want to accept the default ones.

Give your account a shorter name if you wish, then click next.

Then open your email app to view your emails..:smileyhappy: