Join now - be part of our community!

Hotmail problems since ICS update

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
GeoffNT
Visitor

Hotmail problems since ICS update

on top of the SD card write problems that ICS has caused, I'm also having email connection problems to my hotmail account since the update. I get a server connection error whenever it syncs. I have tried deleting the account and re-installing, but get the same error. I can login to the account via the web fine.

25 REPLIES 25
reggieg1
Visitor

Same problem here...any word yet from Sony on how to fix?

Skodge
Visitor

Hi reggieg1

I have contacted Sony customer support with this issue and their reply was "from the detailed information you have provided us  we deem it necessary to perform a factory reset .". Not tried it yet , I was hoping someone would come up with a more creative solution, it would seem to me it's a problem with ICS and Sony would supply a ' bug fix' .

Anyone else with this problem ought to contact Sony, they need to know it's not an isolated issue.

customersupport.en@eu.sony.com

GeoffNT
Visitor

Yes, that seems like the standard IT helpdesk response of "have you tried re-booting it" rather than giving any confidence it will actually work. I am not going to do a factory reset on mine unless I am 100% convinced that it is going to solve the problem. I am wondering if the issue is to do with the number of messages in the Hotmail account that it has to sync. I have changed my settings to only sync messages from the last month and, touch wood, it has been working OK since then. Not an ideal solution, but it is better than a factory reset for me.

profile.country.GB.title
Chayton69
Explorer

out of interest, is this fault intermittent? I have been having an issue with my mail accounts not synching randomly. it transpires the reason for this is that i also have the accounts in my phone and the email server,when pushing mail to my phone or laptop browser, is locking up and his stops my tablet retrieving mail until the server disconnects from the ither devices. just a thought.

Chayton

Message was edited by: Chayton69

GeoffNT
Visitor

Yes it does seem to be intermittent and I also have the accounts synced to my phone as well so I guess it could be that, but it is odd that it only started after the ICS update.

Skodge
Visitor

Mine is also intermittent, more off than on though, but as with GeoffNT the problem only began after upgrading to ICS.

GeoffNT
Visitor

Mine now seems to have stopped sending mail completely. I have had a message sat in my outbox for over 2 hours. Hitting "send all messages" does nothing, hitting the sync logo gives "could not open connection to server" error. I've tried switching the tablet off and re-starting but that hasn't helped.  My phone is sending and receiving emails form the same account with no problem.

This is getting really frustrating now. COME ON SONY, SORT THIS OUT! It has to be a bug in the ICS update as it worked perfectly before.

Can anyone recommend a free third party email app that works well?

GeoffNT
Visitor

As I am not sure how thoroughly Sony monitor these forums, if they do at all, I have emailed details of the fault to the customer support address that skodge gave earlier in the thread. I would urge anyone else having the same problem to do the same so that Sony know it is a general problem.

I have now had the same email stuck in my outbox for over 24 hours and nothing I do will persuade it to send, yet incoming mail is still arriving. On my phone there are seperate settings for incoming and outgoing mail servers for my hotmail accounts but in the Tablet S you only appear to be able to set the incoming ones. I wonder if that is part of the problem and the outgoing mail settings defaults are wrong? I can't remember if that was the same on the original Honeycomb version.

I am now temporarily using the Hotmail android app which is connecting perfectly. Sadly it doesn't handle folders as neatly as the native email app does (or rather did) so I would prefer Sony to fix this ASAP. I don't see that a factory reset should be necessary, it is surely just a case of them fixing the email app and updating that?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Yes Thalamus, I agree.  This seems to be part of a much larger problem.  If you look here: -

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/hotmail-sync/hotmail-sync-eas-broken-on-mobile-...

It looks like the problem exists for almost all mobile devices using the m.hotmail.com server and it appears to have nothing to do with the ICS Upgrade.  It certainly looks like a Microsoft server problem which has just coincided with ICS release.

Those using the POP3 server do not seem to be affected.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Reading around a bit today and yesterday evening it seems that this is not unique to thee Sony Tablet S or even Android's ICS so not sure Sony are the ones who wil be able to fix this to be honest..

Further reading here - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/hotmail-sync/hotmail-sync-eas-broken-on-mobile-...

It seems that MS are suggesting people try using the hotmail (Microsoft + Seven) App which may be the way forward for those having a problem at least until MS address the server issues..

Call me cynical but perhaps it's MS plan for you all to buy their new tablet.. 😉