Join now - be part of our community!

No Remote Share?

SOLVED
Emly
Visitor

No Remote Share?

Hi all,

I just found the Remote Share feature on my Z3 Compact and thought "hey, what a great feature this would be for a tablet to have", only to find there's no such option on the Z4. 

I've found posts on how to use it in the forum for the Z2 tablet so it's obviously present on that device. 

So, does anyone know why this has been left out, and if it's coming in some planned update? 

If you know of any alternative solutions on mounting a remote share I'd love to hear them, though I'm guessing it would involve installing a custom rom. 

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SergioPL1
Contributor

@uliwooly I think he means remote shares feature which is available under Settings / Memory / Remote Shares.

It allows you to mount remote disk (Windows Share from PC or NAS device or through NFS from Linux system) as your local memory. It allows to easy transfer pictures, music and other files between Xperia and remote server. Quite useful on tablet Slightly_smiling_Face

@Emly, you can try a workaround. A piece of crap named File Commander has a feature that allows mounting SMB shares. Not the same but you can try it out (if it's not a extra paid premium feature on already premium priced device).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Emly

What and how are you trying to share it?

You can use Throw, Screen mirroring, cast, media server, or you can use third party apps, an example you can buy Chromecast and download the app, etc. 

SergioPL1
Contributor

@uliwooly I think he means remote shares feature which is available under Settings / Memory / Remote Shares.

It allows you to mount remote disk (Windows Share from PC or NAS device or through NFS from Linux system) as your local memory. It allows to easy transfer pictures, music and other files between Xperia and remote server. Quite useful on tablet Slightly_smiling_Face

@Emly, you can try a workaround. A piece of crap named File Commander has a feature that allows mounting SMB shares. Not the same but you can try it out (if it's not a extra paid premium feature on already premium priced device).

Emly
Visitor

Yeah, that's the one I meant.

Thanks, I guess this is the best option for now. I just don't get why they left it out on the Z4.