Join now - be part of our community!

Problems with ereader authorisation.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
chblake54
New

Problems with ereader authorisation.

I recently bought a Sony Tablet (S).  As my wife has a Sony Reader I assumed it would be straightforward to copy purchased ebooks on to the tablet.  The task of copying was easy but the tablet reader will not open the file.  The versionof Reader for Tablet is 1.0.1 and the "about" screen states that the tablet has not been authorised for ADE.  How can that be achieved?    While I can overcome the problem using another App it does seem bizarre that the tablet comes with software that does not do what it is supposed to.

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
apaola
Visitor

I have finally found a solution to this after banging my head against sony and adobe support for days.

You can use an app called Aldiko, download it, go to settings then tap adobe drm.  Enter your adobe id & password then ok.

You can add books to your library by clicking on the home icon in the top left corner and then sd card.  This will let you search the folders on your tablet for any books etc.  I found the drm protected book that i was trying to access in the transferred folder.  Add it to your library and away you go.

A step by step is here: http://ebookfriendly.com/2011/09/30/how-to-read-adobe-drm-ebooks-on-android/

This has been very frustrating, mainly because of the lack of any kind of support from sony or on the web.  If this is what is involved in being an earlu adopter then i shall try and avoid being one in the future!

Thanks for starting this thread - it was almost the only thing i could find when searching the web and helped me realise that it wasn't just me having a problem.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
lemurville
Visitor

Hi. I think this may be down to digital rights management. I don't believe the reader app on the tablet is capable of viewing DRM protected books. Have you tried the Calibre app? You can setup your PC, where your books are stored, as a server so you can access your books from there. Requires a little tinkering but i got it to work for me quite easily. Let me know if you need any more info.

chblake54
New

Many thanks for the response.  The problem is that the tablet needs to be authorised by Adobe to read DRM content using my Adobe ID.  In theory (I think) if one connects the tablet to the PC with Digital Editions open then the tablet shoudl be recognised and thus authroised.  That is certainly how the Sony Reader is enabled to receive Ebooks downloaded on to the PC.  I am pursuing with Adobe but not sure if it is an Adobe problem or Sony. 

profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

Quote from some tablet review site: For those of you not familiar with Sony ebook reading devices and the Sony Reader store, it's an ePUB bookstore that uses standard Adobe DRM, and you'll activate your Adobe account on the device when you log into your store account. Sony has a solid selection of books, but you're not limited to their bookstore thanks to side-loading.

chblake54
New

As I understand it from the Sony site, the ereader store is only available in USA & Canada.  If that is the case then you would not be able to open an account from the UK.   It would seem that Sony UK have not thought through the use of ereader in the UK - and do not help the situation by not having an online support procedure.  I would be interested to hear if anyone else has encountered this problem.  

apaola
Visitor

I have finally found a solution to this after banging my head against sony and adobe support for days.

You can use an app called Aldiko, download it, go to settings then tap adobe drm.  Enter your adobe id & password then ok.

You can add books to your library by clicking on the home icon in the top left corner and then sd card.  This will let you search the folders on your tablet for any books etc.  I found the drm protected book that i was trying to access in the transferred folder.  Add it to your library and away you go.

A step by step is here: http://ebookfriendly.com/2011/09/30/how-to-read-adobe-drm-ebooks-on-android/

This has been very frustrating, mainly because of the lack of any kind of support from sony or on the web.  If this is what is involved in being an earlu adopter then i shall try and avoid being one in the future!

Thanks for starting this thread - it was almost the only thing i could find when searching the web and helped me realise that it wasn't just me having a problem.

lemurville
Visitor

If your public library has ebooks you can accesss these via Aldiko also. In Aldiko, go to Store -> My Catalogs [top right hand corner] then add the URL for your library. The URL for me is manchesterdownload.lib.overdive.com. It's an alternative to having to download and use the overdrive app.

adsmyth95
Visitor

I think I am close to having enough of these hassles and strongly considering throwing my Sony reader away and getting a kindle. I've been blocked from being able to read books that I have already started reading (bought from Google Play) by this DRM thing. This isn't good since I rely on my reader for business reading too.

I just hate it when things are not intuitive...

Sony... you've been told !!!