Join now - be part of our community!

Regrets?

profile.country.en_GB.title
Hippogryff
Visitor

Regrets?

Hi all,

I have been researching Android tablets for the last week as I am going to purchase one as a gift to someone who is 60+. I see the tablet as a refreshing way of freeing them from the PC in the corner of the living room, I hope it will allow them to access the Internet and get on-board with email in a more natural and appealing way, with finger control and the instant-on approach. They have a PC but I think they're still a little scared (in awe?) of it, as I'm sure is normal for many older folk (not all). This tablet journey for them may all be a pipe-dream, but that is the end result that I'm hoping for.

After all my research, I have settled on either the Sony S1, the Asus Transformer (not Prime) or the Toshiba AT100. As I'm sure many of you know, each has their pros and cons and there are differences aplenty.

I was going to be patient and wait until the Transformer Prime was released - suspecting prices may drop on the current generation of Android tablets. However, events appear to have overtaken me and I now have the opportunity to go into a John Lewis store tomorrow and pick up a returned as-new 32GB S1 for £314. It had been sold to an older couple who (worryingly for my plans) couldn't get used to it - so they returned it. John Lewis originally offered it to my girlfriend (who was in the store) for the same price as the 16GB (£349) but we held off, thinking the price would drop even further. If I buy it, I have been assured that it will retain its 2 year guarantee.

I can get a Toshiba AT100 from Argos for £270 (family friend can use her 10% staff discount) and I've seen the Asus Transformer ranging from £279 (briefly) to £379 on Amazon... £279 would clinch it, £379 doesn't.

Tomorrow will be all about the experience for me - I will be testing the hold of the S1, the glass (non-Gorilla), I had wanted HDMI out - really, I want to know if it can handle a good paw or whether it is going to seem flimsy. The screen is supposed to be much better than the Toshiba, but not as good as the Transformer - I want to check this out. Yes, the remote feature is appealing too.

Having spent some time reading community entries here, I am really looking for some genuine advice from the folks who have an S1... do you have any regrets? Would you still buy an S1 today? Would you wait for the prices to drop even further than the standard £349 (now) for 16GB? Would you give the edge to the Asus Transformer (not Prime) as I probably would right now (cost becomes an issue, though)? Are you secretly somewhat disappointed in the build quality - my girlfriend (who, as I say, found it in John Lewis) said "it feels like a cheap router" after performing a hands-on review in the store, but I will judge that for myself tomorrow.

I would very much appreciate your candid comments and guidance. If I was buying this for myself it would be a whole lot easier, I reckon.

Cheers, Hippo

14 REPLIES 14
tobarre32
New

Hi Hippo, you seem to be in a very fortunate position - a 32GB S for £314 seems like a snip to me.  I've only had my tablet six days & despite some niggles (see my other posts) I am delighted with it.  One thing I would check out (since its for an older person) is the ability to alter font sizes - some app fonts are small & appear unalterable (I've just taken the Times on free trial and as amazing as it is I don't appear to be able to increase font sizes on the downloaded android version but I think you can on the ipad version).  I have no experience of the other tablets you mentioned as I was between the ipad & the sony but do they all come with 2 year warranty & with ice cream sandwich on the way?  I have only played video samples and the picture quality is amazing but is unfortunately not matched by sound which is pretty tinny & you'd have to be in a very quiet place in order to avoid headphones.  I'd repeat my purchase at the standard price but I'd be delighted to save over 100 quid!  Tommy

profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

I've had my 32gb version since early October and so far no real regrets. It does what I expected pretty well.

The main thing for me is whether I actually needed it. Don't get me wrong the tablet is very good, but my HTC Desire does pretty much enough for me.

As for your reason for getting it, I must say that accessing certain websites on a touchscreen can be frustrating. Sometimes, for example, when wanting to enter text in this forum the keyboard refuses to appear also correcting text can be a pain as placing the cursor in precisely the correct place is a hit or miss affair (or that may just be me:smileyblush:). This would apply to all tablets.

I would also say that if it's to access the internet or getting emails all tablets will do that very well, so any tablets you mention would be fine.

To be honest its a personal choice but the Sony is one of the best android tablets around. So would I get a 32gb version for £314, yes why not

zabius
Visitor

I don't wanna sound like a broken record but I too am really enjoying my Sony Tablet, yeh it has a few niggles (one being the crappy proprietary charging unit and lack of HDMI) but all in all this is a great tablet - plus I managed to get it brand new for £240 so am well happy 🙂

Just remember that this will be getting ICE-CREAM (the latest Android update) - so this will only enhance the device further shortly.

Like the others said I'd have no regrets - yeh there are more powerful Tegra 3 tablets coming out but I for one don't think anyone should spend £450-£500+ for a tablet when that money could buy a seriously powerful desktop computer.

Hippogryff
Visitor

All,

Thank you for your insights. I went into John Lewis today and had a good look over the S1. Although my other half had been somewhat harsh in her previous description, I could see what she was getting at and I'd more or less decided it wasn't for me (or, should I say, I didn't want to buy it for someone) once it was in my hands.

I liked the screen and the small amount of playing around certainly gave me the impression it was pretty slick. However, I couldn't get past the fact that the other Android tablets seemed much more well built. Sure, they're not built like tanks, but the S1 seemed flimsy and bargain-basement in comparison to tablets like the old Motorola Xoom (not the Xoom 2, which wasn't there) and the Asus Transformer (which is now my favourite - which I saw at Currys later in the day).

I'll be interested in seeing what Sony come out with next, 'cos I'll be in the market for one of these Android tablets myself soon.

I am going to play what I hope is a smart game and wait for the Transformer price to drop once the Prime is really out-and-about.

BTW - the positive thing (for Sony) is that when my girlfriend was in last week, the sales guy had told her that everyone was buying iPads and no-one was really paying much attention to the Sony or most other Android tablets. Today, John Lewis had actually sold out of their 16GB S1s; they could've only had one in, I don't know, but now they have none and some punter(s) do instead.

This is a very, very small thing - but I find that the background installed on an Android device has a great bearing on how it looks in the shop. The Sony S1s that I have seen have a particularly poor background choice (lots of black with an orangle / gold swirl) and I think this makes it look poor in comparison. I would like to see all Android devices with the same background - and brightness settings - in shops so you could do a really good screen compare-and-contrast (no pun intended).

Thanks again!

Hippo

smellyonion
New

my honest opinion would be to go for an ipad 2 for someone who is a little older and has had no experience in android and although android is very good it just simply isnt as simple as ios.

ofcourse you get flash , customisable homescreens ,etc.but you do have to learn to use it. unlike ios where its click on app, press middle button back to home. all the apps on the app store are tested to work on your hardware unlike android where some apps are just incompatible.

its one of those things where by the more effort you put into android the better the user can make it and when you do have it managed, ios cant touch it.

now interms of the sony s. yes it doesnt feel as nice as cold metal and the build seems like its lacking. but when the actually took it apart they found that all the components in the inside where surrounded by platic for added rigidness. unlike other tablets where a knock could dislodge a chip(like the tramsformer).

It also features the same infrared tech as those £200 universal remotes. another benefit of the tablet is the wedge, yes it means its thick but no other tablet feels as comfortable holding vertical.

have a look at the tech republic teardown of the transformer and then the tablet s, the said how the transformer was a mess of circuit boards botched together. so yes it may seem like it is buiot hetter due to astetic reasons but in reality, the build in the inside is what counts and the sony is build far better.

not only is it lighter than the transformer(probably why its lacking the metal), but added to the spine of the sony s it is unmatched for vertical use. it makes an excellent ebook and magazine reader.

now the screen has really good blacks, probably why the background looks so dark even though it is set to brightest.

yes the transformer has an ips panel, for excellent brightness but the sony is 9.4" for better pizel density with a much smaller bezel on the side meaning your thumbs dont have to stretch as far and better blacks and lets be honest, you rarely use a tablet at full brightness like the shops if you value your battery life. at the lower end of the brightness the blacks of the screen blend into the black of the bezel, making it look very classy indeed.

now it doesnt have hdmi, which isnt good, they claim dlna is the future but in reality. dlna is stuck to the software and their formats and any tablet can download a dlna app. the transformer has the upper hand in this respect.

thne charger port is rubbish but the cable is good and long.

also sd card does not expand internal storage yet.

the other gripes like typing on these forums etc(hence the typos on this reply as correcting them is so difficult) are all android related and I hope icecream sandwich will sort this out.

its not gorilla class, which is shame but sony say this is to make the screen more responsive so they used a thin sheet. it did seem to come with a screen protector pre installed and I placed one ontop as I didnt notice it.

Hippogryff
Visitor

Thanks for this input.

I couldn't countenance purchasing an iPad (or anything Apple branded) for someone. I can't get past that in my head, I'm afraid. Besides, my intention is to remove them from the need for turning on the PC for most things. I could get there with an iPad, of course I could, but I would still have that PC link via iTunes - and I don't want it to raise its ugly head.

Yes, I did see the breakdown of the S - it mentioned "highest quality components inside" or something similar. That's what we all expect from Sony, I hope, and I think a bit of external metal and Gorilla glass would provide the S with an almost unbeatable position. Lightness is really good - but too light often betrays a "cheap and plasticky" feeling, even though you know it's not true. Sometimes you need a good bit of "heft" with it - that's why I'd also been considering the Toshiba AT100 (again lacking Gorilla glass, but full of lovely sized ports).

I've not taken the plunge yet - I hope to see what new year and Transformer Prime release does to the prices (right now - nothing - but I can be patient).

Actually (edit) - these articles seem to be from today...

http://www.product-reviews.net/2012/01/02/sony-tablet-s-joins-growing-list-with-big-price-cut/

http://www.slashgear.com/sony-tablet-s-gets-100-discount-to-undercut-ipad-02205313/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-57350761-64/sony-slashes-tablet-s-price-signaling-trend/

...I wonder how this may be reflected in the UK, if at all?

Hippo

Message was edited by: Hippogryff

Message was edited by: Hippogryff, added URLs.

smellyonion
New

My view has always been that inorder a tablet to remain a purposeful thing, it must be light.

If it is heavy you may aswell buy a netbook.

Waiting is your best bet.

The transformer is only 80g more than the sony tablet but yet it uses a much smaller, lighter battery, has a 10" glass screen and metal casing. Where did the weight saving go? here:

tablet s, for comparison:

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/8563/6301079620413.jpg

Obviously our wants a different, i wouldnt consider a heavy tablet, having lived with sony for months now i would want it to be lighter still. I dream of 100g paper super thin tablets.

All capasitive touch screens are glass, including the sony. It is only because it features an almost invisible screen protector pre attached that it doesnt feel like glass.Metal in casing is an asthetic material in technology as Metal does not absorb impact hence why car bumpers are plastic. The actual structure of the sony is magnesium which is stronger and lighter than most metals.

So yes you may see it as being weak and flimsy but in the inside it is one of the most well made tablets, unlike something like the transformer which on paper seem to be strong but in reality it is flimsy.

edit: I think the price cut in the US is the one which happened last month in the UK where by it went from 399 to 349, they may drop it more but i am doubtful

Message was edited by: smellyonion

Message was edited by: smellyonion

Hippogryff
Visitor

All you are saying is valid. I'm not saying that I want to get a brick of a tablet, I've just currently got the opinion that the 'feel' of the Motorola Xoom and the Asus Transformer pleased me more, aesthetically, than the Sony S did. As you rightly point out, we're not talking bags of sugar here, really just the difference between 100g or so.

Also, I am only talking about less than 10 minutes of handling.

I don't think a further price drop on the Sony S would help me anyway, I'd already had the option of getting a 32GB one for £314 (coupled with the peace of mind you get from a John Lewis purchase). Although the £240 reported previously by zabius might very well be tempting. I wouldn't mind knowing where that deal was from.

Hippo

to-tom
Visitor

Just remember that ipads, or anything Apple, does not show flash  I found this very restrictive as many sites have special offers in flash. For example try looking at the Sony Tablet site, at the top is the offer of Unlimited Music, Unlimited Video, Games etc, you would not get to see that on Apple products!

Apple products are brilliant but expensive and restrictive. Hence my decision to get the S1 and not the iPad.