Join now - be part of our community!

The Old Nag.

dies_felices
Explorer

The Old Nag.

Hi,

This is a complaint but before I go any further I must acknowledge that I realise I am flogging a dead horse and that this will indeed fall on death ears.  This is a long critical post and I accept that others have opinions too and it just isn't fair that not everybody agrees with them.

This weekend I failed to become a Sony customer.  Having read reviews and searched for the issues which have users posting to messaging boards like this one to complain, I settled on the Xperia Tablet Z as the choice of device to meet my needs.

So to briefly outline my decision making process, just to show it isn't so different from anyone else's.  I imagine one or two of these priorities might swap position depending when you write the list but overall this is what I'd go for.

Priority 1 - Price
Priority 2 - Battery
Priority 3 - Display & CPU + RAM
Priority 4 - Wi-fi + 4G
Priority 5 - Internal Storage
Priority 6 - Expansion and connectivity
Priority 7 - Appearance
Priority 8 - Accessories i.e. keyboard

So as one might expect first I'll review the price. The Xperia Tablet is targeting IPad price points at Internal Storage and 4G connectivity.  At first glance this perhaps isn't so bad but I'll return to this point later.

Battery - Display - CPU - RAM etc... are all with the range of similar products from competitors.

Wifi + 4G this is a available and very necessary, something else to which I'll return.

Internal Storage! Who in their mind these days buys a product with only 16GB? As a minimum I've only considered 32GB for the last eight years!

Now this rather neatly brings us to expansion and connectivity because I'm thinking now of the Micro SD card slot a salve to all your file storage problems... not really. USB is standard now and that's a good thing but what about USB 3?

By this point if you're buying a product for personal reasons which will form a small part of your sentimental collection then appearance matters and Xperia Z looks good with its low profile bevel.

Everyone wants a case and a sizable hardware keyboard does wonders! No hardware keyboards to be found in the Sony store but there are aftermarket options available.

How were my priorities not met?  First and foremost the range, 16GB & 32GB but no 4G connectivity on the 32GB model.  So here's where someone might answer but you can buy a 64GB mirco SD card for in the order of £50.  A Micro SD card slot is not a means to augment the specification of an inferior product, there are three specific reasons for this;

1. Buying the 16GB + 4G Xperia Tablet plus the Micro SD expansion brings the total price to £550
  2. Even with the Micro SD card installed you don't have the same uniform file system access which you get with one large drive.
  3. As a removable storage media it is most useful for transferring those big data blobs from one device to another i.e. a photo album or collection of home movies etc.

The product range of 16GB and 32GB not acceptable simply as the Market Leader has a much larger range to offer and priced competitively. You remember how I said I'd return to pricing?  Well here it is.  Price!  These devices are targeting the same price points as the Market Leader in a market where the Market Leader has a hugely strong brand image. Personally, I'd be willing to pay like for like prices where I a product which I perceive as being a superior product but not like for like with a product which I can find any way to be comparatively critical of it compared to its rival. Most consumers aren't even that generous.

One issue here is that the performance characteristics of a 16GB (plus 4G) device vs a 128GB (plus 4G) device are going to be negligible the issue will be price. (by the way at the time of writing for the average consumer a Kingston 32GB emmc module sells for just under £50 and that's pretty much retail. The prices fall per bit as the capacities increase but 32Gb was the biggest I could find.) This is where the Market Leader's brand can demand the premium and if you don't like it then get out of the market! Business isn't about what you like or how you like to see yourself, business is about your customers and if your competitor can offer a higher spec product and sell it then so can you.

Who said 'Cloud' come on put your hand up! I am neither a leaf on the wind nor is my data a drop in the marketing stratosphere. To quote the Psion philosophy, this is where my data lives.  The cloud has its purpose, sharing and backup and synchronisation.  But in the real world on the go, my data is here, I work with what I have in front of me. Thin clients are another buzz phrase that pops up now and again and in concert with a strongly connected world and the cloud will work well but we don't live in that world.

All of this proceeds issue like the Market Leader being about to update their product range, taking Sony's already out of spec range even further from the desirable market segment and not counting the old fashioned OS.  Four new modern operating systems are coming to market this year.  While I wouldn't suggest for a moment that the Xperia Z running Android is a bad thing but a similar product with a modern OS with an actual acceptable spec and perhaps a new killer feature...

You know, on Sony's European Graduate Recruitment Program the promotes the message about imaginative innovative thinking - not falling in step with the crowd.  With this product range Sony certainly aren't in step with crowd, Sony is behind and loosing ground!  So to Sony I say this, listen to your own recruitment message and innovate. Of cause, like everyone else, I have my ideas about what Sony could do better but then I seriously doubt that Sony are interested in my views.

In short the failings here are:  In the case of the Xperia Tablet Z, it fails on range and price.  In the case of Sony, fail on a lack of innovation.

sincerely very opinionated!

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Nice piece with some valid points. I can offer a bit of insight and opinion around storage - MicroSD cards give people who do need more capacity the ability to add it without paying for it upfront. I've never had a problem with the onboard capacity, but everyones usage is different. Simple question would be how many more tablets would be sold if the entry memory capacity was 32GB and the price moved accordingly? I think this would actually have a negative impact on sales as this market is very competitive with entry points below £100 and on android, storage isn't really a point of difference in that most consumers are aware they can add capacity, whereas a great waterproof screen or beautiful design is unique.

Xperia Z tablet has been very well received, and notably the Xperia range was cited in the 1H results as having performed very well, so its obviously resonating with alot of people.

Thanks for your interesting, thought provoking post though.

dies_felices
Explorer

Thank you for your fast response that is very much appreciated.

There are two key aspects which have drawn me to write to you. These are the
beautiful design and waterproof screen. Also, my experience of Sony has always
been a good one and your response has reinforced that, thank you!

I didn't mean to suggest that 16GB is an inappropriate entry point for a
tablet product as the main theme of my above post. I do however feel that that
a high capacity tablet (circa 128GB) with 4G connectivity is desirable, that is
the point which I'd like to be taken.

I am disappointed that that the Xperia Tablet Z can't fit into my life style,
as you point out it is commendably a very desirable tablet. I would suggest
that those who buy the higher storage capacity products intrinsically have a
different usage profile to those buying the lower storage capacity. My phone
for example has 64GB capacity and that is more than half full and I don't use
that form much more than calls and music.

This is not intended to come across as a disparaging criticism of Sony or
your product line up. On the contrary, I'd really like an Xperia Tablet Z that
can meet my needs. One of Sony's strengths is quality and the Xperia Tablet Z
screams that. All I can see is so close but not close enough! Be proud of the
Xperia Tablet Z, I'm sure the range is able to grow and I hope it does so soon.

As for innovation, the rugged waterproof screen is great but a new modern OS
(as well) would be better!

I was wrong, thank you for listening!

dies_felices
Explorer

While first my wish list is for 128GB internal storage with 4G connectivity.  The second is a new modern OS to replace Android.

To that end, I'm going to tie my sail to the mast so as to speak and advocate Sailfish OS.  Yesterday, Jolla who are the developers of the Sailfish operating system, they announced that Sailfish is now compatible with the Android ecosystem.

http://jollatides.com/2013/09/16/jolla-press-release-160913/

I don't want to go into too much detail here about why Sailfish is the best of the four new operating systems, partly because I don't want to distract from my main point above and partly a new OS is a topic for discussion really only if Sony choose to move to another platform.  Sailfish though, is the choice I'd make and advocate.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

This isn't about being right or wrong, just a good discussion. :thumbsup:

I personally think that Sony tablets have come a long way in 3 generations and the current versions design is one of if not the best looking in the market. Keen to see what the next version looks like. I would agree with you on OS's though, huge limiting factor here is again the cost of building an OS and then having suitable levels of support from developers to build all the apps that people expect. You can see whats happened to big names such as Blackberry and Nokia showing that its super hard even if you do have an existing brand and money..

That said Jolia looks nice and the fact its backwardly compatible makes it far more interesting for manufacturers is good, even the Firefox OS looks good.

dies_felices
Explorer

I afraid I'm going to have agree with everything you've said here.

To be honest Nokia's choice of platform was never really their main problem, it was the execution of that transition.  To borrow from Mr. Elop's metaphor, it was like the man had jumped off the platform into the freezing cold water, he went into shock, his muscles cramped and then he drowned.  Just to bring this a bit more in line with reality, it wasn't a burning platform.  As best I can imagine, this was a man, who didn't like the decor in the break room.

While I can not claim to having any liking for or desire to use Windows Phone, that was not Nokia's biggest problem from the beginning of the Windows Phone strategy that has been the management.

Blackberry have very different issues.  First of all they're not transitioning from one (literal software) platform to another.  Their main issue is that their main USP isn't driving sales as it used to.  This does not mean that they can't restructure, maybe even create a new innovation and then come back.

As far as brands are concerned, new brands appear exciting and dynamic while the existing brands offer a recognised quality and support to their customers.  Again though it comes down to execution, any brand that is disciplined and focused can be dynamic and offer quality.  This really is all reflected their core values, how do they see themselves and who are their customers.  A new OS is a risk, like any other new strategy and as you say there are other options other than Sailfish - Firefox for one, Ubuntu and Tizen.

Even with the current staple, Android, I would be asking the same questions as I would for these other contenders.  Android would certainly be the safest option as it is a known quantity but it would still need to answer all the questions posed by the 'New' strategy.  This would of cause have to include the issue impact of the whole new OS for consumers as that would introduce both a buzz and possible disruption.

Sorry, I've gone a bit more than I intended.  All I wanted to really say was, 'Yes, I agree'.  The rest I hope is food for thought and worth while contribution to the idea of discussion.