Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrade to 4.2.2 or not

Sheffmax
Explorer

Upgrade to 4.2.2 or not

I've been reading about the latest upgrade and opinion seems to be divided on its usefulness on the Xperia Z tablet. I'm led to believe that you cannot back it out so before I go and upgrade I'd like to hear other people's experience and whether, if they have upgraded, they regret it.

5 REPLIES 5
Carl0710
New

i upgraded yesterday and regretted it instantly, yes it allows some customisation of the lock screen but the downsides far outway that

The UI buttons which were originally easily accessible in the bottom left corner move to the centre of the screen at the bottom leading to many accidental hits when typing and are not able to be pressed without moving your hands from the edge of the device - which with something that large is very annoying

The menu orinally present in the bottom right corner along with the status bar and notifications has moved to the top centre, and now works identically to the mobile version of the status bar, it is also unconfortable and a pain to use.

There are basically no other changes worth mentioning, and if i had the choice without restoring my tablet, i would not upgrade.

Carl0710
New

I forgot, it does give additional user support, but that's not something i would ever use; hence i forgot about it
profile.country.en_GB.title
andcobde

Yep me to hit upgrade and am now stuck with the appaling double loss of screen real estate by what was once a single convenient shortcut/status/message bar to one top and one bottom, the bottom taking up a a large bloated unecssary chuunk of screen for just the 3 android buttons and the loss of the interface shortcuts for the remote and quick apps and so on. The new top info bar is a right pain to use while the old setup in the bottom right worked very well.

I don't suppose theres a way to revert, I will happily lose anything and everything on the tablet to get rid of this mess.

If you are at all attached to the convenience of teh existing interface avoid this update at all costs.

I would happily delete the whole tablet and start from scratch to get it back to out of the box state or even return it for refund if possible it is so bad by comparison to the previous but I'm assuming I'm stuck with it as is.

Sheffmax
Explorer

Thanks for the replies so far, I feel I've done the right thing in not upgrading yet.

profile.country.en_GB.title
paulell45
Explorer

I could well be wrong, and it may have been possible in previous versions, but the Sony Video Unlimited now let’s you save to external memory not my precious 16Gb inbuilt.