Join now - be part of our community!

5.1 AC3 passthrough on KDL-42W829B

profile.country.GB.title
efiste2
Explorer

5.1 AC3 passthrough on KDL-42W829B

IS it possible to play a Video file on my HDD via the USB ports on my KDL-42W829B and still get the 5.1 soundtrack THROUGH the TV to my Sony AV amp using an OPTICAL connection. I beleive its called PASSTHROUGH.

Thanks for any assistance.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Which is the AV amp model and why you don't use the HDMI-ARC connection instead of the optical one? Is it not supported? By using it you get 5.1 passthorugh not sure via optical...

profile.country.GB.title
efiste2
Explorer

I have the Sony htk215 which is a great unit, but as it's an older model it has no hdmi inputs only optical and a 5.1 Analogue RCA. Excuse my ignorance but what is the hdmi arc connection.

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

ARC (Audio Return Channel) was implemented in 1.4 specification of HDMI and basically they made the communication bidirectional so that an external device can send output video/audio to the TV and can also receive the audio back from the TV. This is specificall usefull for HT that can act as an HDMI HUB for other device (like BD player, console, etc) passing thorugh the video signal to the tv while processing the audio track and operate the TV receiving and processing the audio (i.e. from DTV)

profile.country.GB.title
efiste2
Explorer

This is interesting, again please excuse my naivety, So basically if I connect my Bluray BDPS6200 to my 42W829B TV using an HDMI cable connected to the HDMI ARC socket, And as my Bluray player S6200 is connected to my AV amp independently from the TV via an SPDIF Optical link, anything played into to TV (PS3/SKY etc etc) using an HDMI input, the AUDIO of that external device (PS3 etc) will be channelled through the Bluray player acting as a HUB and therefore into my AV AMP!!

Again I hope the above makes a glimmer of sense, and I do thank you for your expertise and willingness to share it with lamens like me!!
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

My English is not that good, so I don't know what does it means a "lamens" like you :slight_smile:

Regarding your question unfortunately I don't think it works, your Bluray player is not capable of accepting an incoming/input channel on the HMDI ouput socket, only HT HDMI-ARC certified can do that.

Unless you don't want to spend money on a new amp, you have to stick with the optical ...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rooobb - The term "Lamens" is really putting something into basic words so that anyone can understand (ie non-technical people).  :slight_smile:

The HTK215 - Is approx 15 years old?

To answer the question, I believe only Dolby Digital can be passed through via optical. If an audio codec is not supported, it will be converted to PCM to be outputted.

FoxRaynard
Explorer

He means 'layman'. Google it. On my model optical out only supports 2 channel, not sure about this one