Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer on Sony Bravia discontinued in September?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
huxley123

BBC iPlayer on Sony Bravia discontinued in September?

I've just opened the iPlayer app on my Sony Bravia KDL-40CX523 TV and am faced with a message stating this version of iPlayer is being discontinued in September.

Is there going to be a new version I can use or does this mean iPlayer won't work at all on my TV after September?

105 REPLIES 105
SirCumfy

I had a look here:

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/information/Sony

So from that list it looks like my TV (a KDL-32EX703) is now defunct, as it's a 2010 model.

My Blu-Ray (BDV-EF200), purchased in 2012, isn't listed at all. As this supports HD I have been using this plugged into the TV to watch iPlayer for the last couple of years.

Both the TV and DVD player were chosen because of the fact that they could use iPlayer. I cannot afford to replace one, let alone both of these devices. Looks like I'm stuffed.

Thanks Beeb.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi SirCumfy

I have no new information to provide, however Sony is working with the BBC to sort this out.  I still have my fingers crossed that it can be resolved.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

The following is the latest from Sony:

"

In March 2014 the BBC informed the market via the BBC blog that they had started rolling out a new version of BBC iPlayer: designed for a multiscreen world, so the experience is consistent, and optimised across PC, tablet, mobile and TV devices. As part of the BBC’s strategy they will, where possible, migrate devices to the new version. The BBC claim that the version iPlayer used on a small number of devices, some of which are Sony devices (V2 iPlayer) represents a small percentage of BBC iPlayer users, and as a consequence has taken the decision to close this version of iPlayer. Our Sony engineers are working closely with the BBC to try and find a solution that can make the later (V4) iPlayer version work on affected TV products, but unfortunately we have concluded that HAV products (BluRay / Home Theatre / etc) will not be able to migrate and the ability to watch BBC iPlayer via these products will cease once the BBC withdraws their service.

So to summarize, TV’s may get the necessary update from V2 to V4 but HAV units (BD players, HT system) will not get any update I'm afraid.

"

I have enquired on the exact models that will be affected(effected?) and hope the get them at some point.

Thank you all for your continued patience.

Cheers

HAV = Home Audio/Video

Grimgreybeard

Oh well, Sony can be assured that the replacement Blu-ray HAV unit I will now have to purchase will NOT be one of their products.

QuiteCross
Explorer

So does a media player count as a HAV?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im assuming that your referring to the SMP-N100 and the SMP-N200 - again, I would assume that this is also a HAV.  However without having concrete model numbers of ALL the devices effected, I cannot confirm unfortunately.

QuiteCross
Explorer

Thank you Quinnicus, and for providing the information from Sony.  Not what I wanted to hear obviously but at least now I know. 

Simon.Feather
Explorer

So... whilst it's clearly disappointing that a relatively new device should lose the iPlayer like this, all is not entirely lost.  I've solved the problem quite cheaply by buying a Now box from Sky.  This little thing is tiny - about 8cm square - and costs just £10 including postage, and it comes with an HDMI cable.  It includes the new iPlayer (a big improvement on functionality I've found) *and* catchup services for ITV, 4oD and C5 - I think this might be the only device other than a PC or tablet that will get ITV and 4oD.  You'll need to sign up for a free trial of Sky Movies to validate the box and get it to connect initially, but as I understand it you don't need to continue with this after your free 30 days is up.  Works for me!  If you haven't got 2 HDMI ports on your TV you might also need an HDMI switch (I got a three port aut-switching one for about £7-8, but it's still a lot less than buying a new TV or Bluray player.

profile.country.en_GB.title
ancousins

Hi All

Just turned my KDL40CX523 to the iplayer - page says it is now turned off, the TV is listed as getting the "new"

version. Will I get the new version or is the list wrong?

profile.country.GB.title
Davidg_Croydon
Explorer

Was happily watching iPlayer this morning on my KDL-22EX320, but just tried to watch something this evening and I get this device is not supported, and a page with a QR code telling me how to get iPlayer, but this TV is on the BBC's approved list BBC Sony list. So, is anybody else having this issue? The TV is only 2 1/2 years old.