Join now - be part of our community!

Can someone help me connect my Sony Bravia ex503 to internet

profile.country.en_GB.title
newbie49
Visitor

Can someone help me connect my Sony Bravia ex503 to internet

I have a Sony Bravia EX503 and have just bought the Sony USB Dongle (UWA-BR100) to get me connected to internet. I've gone through network setting. During the setup, the system recognises my router and shows a strong signal. Using the SCAN option (as per advice on Sony tutorial), I've entered my router Security Key and everything looks good. But at the end of the setup, the result is a message saying that the Wireless Device is 'OK', but Local Access and Internet Access both show as 'Failed'. My router (Netgear Wireless-G ADSL) has WPA-PSK +WPA2-PSK security, so I thought it would be worth trying the WPS (Push Button) option, but my router doesn't have any buttons to push. I've also tried the WPS (PIN) option but my router doesn't let me put any PIN into it. My router allows me to identify what equipment can connect to it. I've tried going into the router settings to see if I can make it see the Sony USB Dongle, but when I try manual setup the router asks for an IP Address. I've input the IP address that shows up on the Bravia setup screens but the router says its invalid. Do I need a special router or am I missing something obvious?

4 REPLIES 4
Catmambo
Contributor

Does it work if you temporarily remove security from your network? The dongle is also case sensitive when you are typing in your WEP/WPS code.

newbie49
Visitor

Thanks for your advice. I was careful in inputting the password (did it several times), so it's not a problem with case sensitivity.

Will try to connect with router security switched off and see what happens.

Thanks.

jezzav
Visitor

Hello

Do you use MAC address filtering on the router ?  If so you will need to add the MAC address of the new wireless dongle into the router.

Regards

Jezza

newbie49
Visitor

Catmambo,

I tried switching off security but got the same result - after two minutes of scanning, I got the same message as before (Wireless Device 'OK', but Local Acces and Internet Access both 'Failed'. This set me thinking and I had a closer look at the other settings on my router.

I found a WPS option within the router software and enabled it. This displayed an icon in the shape of a 'Push Button' which I clicked. (Duh!  I'd been looking for a physical button on my router.) I tried scanning again, to no avail.

I had a further look at the router and noticed under the ' Access Control' option, was the list of items I'd already permitted to access my network. (This was where I'd been trying to input the IP address that was showing up on the TV screen, but it got rejected. I disabled Access control (but kept security on) and tried to run the scan again. Hey presto! It worked. I've re-enabled the Access Control and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks ever so much for pointing me in the right direction.