Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot connect Smart TV to internet

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mastraz45
Visitor

Cannot connect Smart TV to internet

I purchased a Sony KDL47EX524 smart TV fitted with dongle. Initially connected to my Talk Talk router but working to slow. Changed to Virgin Media connected laptop/ Ipad wireless ok (9Mbs). With TV sometimes can see Virgin WIFI but signal strength low other times cannot see signal at all. Enter  WPA key but cannot connect. Other devices working ok in same room. Is this a Virgin signal strength issue or is there something I can do with TV ? Virgin say only support laptops/ PC's. Have threatened to cancel contract. Virgin have offered to move router but will leave me with no inernet on PC located in study. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bravia55HX

Hi,

well its unfortunate the router is in another room as i believe that the UWA-BR100 dongle is not a strong point for wireless connection with the router where it is, i dont think theres much choice here other than to move the router near the tv and get a wireless card for the pc, the other way would be to get a LAN cable long enough from the router to the tv and connect the tv with LAN, not ideal i know, its a case of which takes priority here.

someone may even suggest home plugs may help here but i cannot advise as have no experience using them.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Bravia55HX

Hi,

you should not have any problem with the virgin router, is it in the same room as the tv?, you may need to persevere and try a couple of times for it to connect, it dont always go first time.

p.s can you double check the model no. of your tv.

mastraz45
Visitor

Hi. Model No is KDL46EX524BU. Router is located in study at other end of house was located there to connect to none WIFI PC. Able to use laptop & IPad in lounge where Sony TV mounted. For some reason TV does not appear to be able to consistently find Virgin signal. When it does signal is weak & am unable to connect to router. Guess must be signal issue but why other devices work & not TV ?

Bravia55HX

Hi,

well its unfortunate the router is in another room as i believe that the UWA-BR100 dongle is not a strong point for wireless connection with the router where it is, i dont think theres much choice here other than to move the router near the tv and get a wireless card for the pc, the other way would be to get a LAN cable long enough from the router to the tv and connect the tv with LAN, not ideal i know, its a case of which takes priority here.

someone may even suggest home plugs may help here but i cannot advise as have no experience using them.