Join now - be part of our community!

Confige PS3 so Bravia TV remote can control/play DVDs/blu-rays

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
MackedyMac
Visitor

Confige PS3 so Bravia TV remote can control/play DVDs/blu-rays

Hello

Just wondering if there is a way for the PS3 to be configured so I can use my Bravia TV remote to act as a controller/remote when playing DVDs and blu-rays?  I find the playstation paddle is a bit fiddly and want to avoid duplicating remotes if possible.

The Bravia is a 2006 model and the software on the PS3 has just been updated.

Any help for non-tech bod would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mac

Message was edited by: MackedyMac

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi Mac,

I don't think so. If you want to avoid using the PS3 controllers you could always buy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Blu-Ray-Disc-Remote-Control/dp/B000MWQTLU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=129259...

Kindest regards,

Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi Mac,

I don't think so. If you want to avoid using the PS3 controllers you could always buy:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Blu-Ray-Disc-Remote-Control/dp/B000MWQTLU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=129259...

Kindest regards,

Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
deshepp57
Visitor

Not possible I'm afraid. PS3 system uses Bluetooth and your remote for your TV is infrared. One is not compatible with the other. Buy the official Sony remote, it's better than other 3rd party ones that are out there as you don't need to plug a dongle in to get it to work.

Message was edited by: deshepp57

jokelly95
Visitor

It should be compatible. Not saying it is though. When I use the TV remote to operate the Philips DVD player I have the signal goes to the TV and then gets sent down the HDMI cable to the DVD player via BraviaSync (I think). It wouldn't need to send bluetooth. You'd assume that because both devices are Sony then it would work. Having said that I've tried quite a few times to get my TV remote to control the PS3 with no luck 😞 It would be nice if someone from Sony could confirm here whether it could be done.

jokelly95
Visitor

After writing that I decided to give it another try last night. Stuck a DVD in my PS3 and turned the TV (KDL32EX503) on and then tried controlling the PS3 DVD functionality with the TV remote and it worked. Totally stunned. It definitely didn't work when I first set the whole thing up at christmas. I can only assume there has been a firmware update on the PS3 or something. It didn't do everything properly though. On my DVD player pressing subtitle on the TV remote turns on subtitles. On teh PS3 it did nothing and you had to select subtitles through the options button.

At least I'm saved the price of a PS3 remote which I really didn't want to buy.

pablofarrelli
Visitor

Hi JOKELLY95, how did you do this as I am having a 'mare. Can you give me some instructions?

Thanks in advance.