Join now - be part of our community!

How to get rid of screen popup when HD version of a channel is playing?>

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
RayTrendy
Visitor

How to get rid of screen popup when HD version of a channel is playing?>

I have a KDL-32CX523. I have set the TV region correctly but every time there is an HD version of a particular broadcast showing I get a pop up asking if I would like to switch to the HD version.

I have two problems with this : firstly I might not want to watch in HD, and secondly the popup invariably sends me to the HD version of the channel not available in my region, which requires a manual channel adjustment to get to the right one..

How do I stop these popups ???

Message edited to provide corrected model number

Message was edited by: RayTrendy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi RayTrendy,

unfortunately there is not an option available to disable the 'This channel is available in HD' pop-up because this message is generated by the Freeview signal & is not part of the Bravia settings..:smileysad:

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
Ian_m-K

Hi Ray,

Same annoying problem here with a KDL-32EX523.

Some one must know how to switch this off. There's no advantage to watching HD on a set below 40", surely Sony must know that!

Ian

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

Any one on this one?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi RayTrendy,

unfortunately there is not an option available to disable the 'This channel is available in HD' pop-up because this message is generated by the Freeview signal & is not part of the Bravia settings..:smileysad:

profile.country.GB.title
Ian_m-K

Hi Thalmus,

Thanks for the explanation. Why has it only recently started though? Who do we need to feedback to get rid of this? Clearly as you have press a button on your Sony remote to clear it, it's a software issue in the Sony TV. I understand the message may be coming from Freeview, however the Sony software is acting on the message and it's very anoying!

Thanks,

Ian

RayTrendy
Visitor

Not sure the Thalmus theory is  100% correct because I have 4 other HD tvs with Freeview  and this does not happen on any of them. Something in the Sony software is doing this, whether triggered by Freeview or not.

I would not mind but it directs me to channels which do not broadcast at all in my area, and again this setting seems to be unchangeable. I have the correct postcode entered and everything else seems fine (itv regions, etc).

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

RayTrendy wrote:

Something in the Sony software is doing this, whether triggered by Freeview or not.

Hi Guys,

if your other four TV's have a freeview HD tuner then that could very well be the case, but I'm pretty sure that there is not a option avalable that allows users to disable the pop-up..:smileysad:

All I can suggest is that either contact Sony direct, not sure if they will be able to help much at the call centres though, or add a suggestion to this thread - Future BRAVIA features - requests & suggestions.

abarton
Visitor

Work around solution!

My parents had this same problem with their new KDL32EX523.  When viewing BBC 1 the pop-up appeared and directed them to channel 833 for BBC1 HD.  However 833 does not work in their area, channel 50 is BBC1 HD.

So not only is the pop-up annoying, it also gives incorrect information and led them to a blank screen!

I solved the problem by deleting channel 833 from their setup. After doing this the pop-up no longer appears.

Unfortunately I had to follow the steps in the i-manual to do this, and I have no access to it here so can't explain all the steps. But it wasn't too difficult to find and if you have trouble Sony support should be able to tell you how to delete a channel.  I was rather surprised this solution worked so well, I was half expecting the pop-up to still appear but direct me to channel 50 instead.  But now they have no annoying pop-up at all which is perfect for my parents. If they want to watch in HD they can still select channel 50 themselves.

You may have to repeat the exercise to get rid of other useless channels in the 83x series for ITV, Channel 4 etc.

Hope this is of some help to you.

ajsrdg
Explorer
ajsrdg
Explorer

Unfortunately there is not a option avalable on the Bravia that allows users to disable the 'This channel is available in HD' pop-up..

Sony have stated that the message is generated by the Freeview signal & is not part of the Bravia settings.

Sony subsequently acknowledge the issue here:

Bravia : On screen broadcast message prompt, change channel to HD option?

http://sonycic.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1878/

Published 01/05/2012 12.17 PM

• When watching an SD (Standard Definition) channel, an on screen message may automatically appear providing the option to view the same programme in HD and provides the option to switch to an HD (High Definition) channel.
  • Currently this on screen function cannot be switched off and will not disappear from the screen unless a choice is made by the customer.
  • We have received some complaints about this so are therefore investigating the possibility of having a manual option to remove this message.
  • If you would like to see an option to remove the message, please click on the "Notify" me tab at the bottom of the screen and we will e-mail you with the results of our investigations. Selecting the "Notify" tab will also let us know how many customers find this message prompt an issue.

So, everybody -- click that today!

If you would like to see an option to remove the message, please click 'Notify Me'.

Selecting it will also let us know how many customers find this message prompt an issue.