Join now - be part of our community!

KDL42W829B slow download speeds using ethernet & wireless

SOLVED
justin_brrp
Explorer

KDL42W829B slow download speeds using ethernet & wireless

Hi,
I have bought a Sony TV model KDL42W829B a week ago. So far the TV has lived upto my expectations but am not sure if there is an issue with the built in wifi and ethernet. 

Anyway the issue is the wifi and ethernet speed via my virgin router. I can get upto 55 mbps on the laptop ethernet direct connection and 40 mbps wireless. However when i do the same with the TV i get 9 mbps ethernet & 8 max wireless. I have used the built in opera browser and tried several non flash speed test websites with the same results,(could it be the browser). The firm version is the latest according to the built in support software and sony's website. I have restored back to factory settings. When i use iplayer/youtube & netflix i dont have any issues with speed everything runs smoothly. What i don't want is sometime down the line i have streaming issues.

Any ideas guys ? thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
justin_brrp
Explorer

All sorted i used the built in screen & network app this showed speeds between 13Mbps - 18Mbps. My advice to anyone is not to use the web browser as this does not give the correct results.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TimCurtis

I've exactly the same TV as you. I'll give it a go when the wifes' not watching anything.

justin_brrp
Explorer

All sorted i used the built in screen & network app this showed speeds between 13Mbps - 18Mbps. My advice to anyone is not to use the web browser as this does not give the correct results.

profile.country.GB.title
lithoartist

justin_brrp

Your post interests me.  I own a Sony KDL32W705, a TV not dissimilar to yours.  I have fibre broadband that gives me 37.5Mbps download speed through an ethernet cable to my desktop PC.  Running BandwidthPlace speed test on my TV that is connected to my router with two powerline adapters gives a download speed of no more than 7-9Mbps, however.  Furthermore and unlike you, On-demand TV programmes, while loading and starting to play OK, stop playing after no more than five minutes prompting a message that there is possibly something wrong with my internet connection.  I am unaware of the built-in screen and network app you mention.  I should be grateful if you would provide more information on where to find it.