Join now - be part of our community!

KDL50W829B Media Player crashing when connecting External HDD through USB

Vlad87
Explorer

KDL50W829B Media Player crashing when connecting External HDD through USB

Hi, 

Recently purchased the KDL50W829B and have no problems with it except for one, but it's a major one, as being able to play media from an external USB HDD was one of the reasons for upgrading. I am using a WD 500GB HDD only containing video files of various formats, no mp3s or other types of files on it. the problem is as follows:

1. I plug in the HDD into the USB socket

2. TV recognises it and asks if I want to launch the Media Player (whether I chose Yes, or No and launch it myself through Home button, makes no difference, I've tried every way possible) 

3. (When in Media Player) At this stage time varies but the result is always the same. Sometimes it crashes when trying to access the Media Player. Sometimes it crashes while scanning the files on the HDD. Sometimes it scans and displayes all the media on the HDD and crashes when I try to browse them. Sometimes it even lets me play a file or two, but most times it doesn't. 

4. No matter what, the result in the end is always the same. I get a window saying: "Unfortunately the Media Player has stopped" and OK button to press.

5. Ussually I'm not even fast enough to press the OK and the TV powers down and reboots with black screen and SONY on it. The time of the reboot always varies but after it turns itself on again it goes to either TV or HDMI1

6. Here is the strange part and the most anoying one. If I just leave it there after the reboot watching normal TV and don't unplug the HDD it will go through the reboot process over and over againg every 90 seconds (timed it) even if I don't try to access the HDD. And it will keep rebooting untill I unplug the HDD.

7. I have also tried a Toshiba 160GB HDD freshly formated with just a handfull of files on it with the same results. So I doubt it's the HDD problem.

8. Read somewhere that HDD might need more power so I tried the Y USB cable to utilize both USB inputs to provide more power to the HDD with no luck.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Is there a way to fix this (maybe an alternative way to use HDD without launching the Media Player) or do I have to return the TV? I really wouldn't want to do that as I like everything else about it, but inability to watch a lot of the media I have on my eternal drives is a real dealbreaker.

Thanks

59 REPLIES 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I have reported this issue to Sony Support, along with all the details/information in the thread.  Hopefully they can get to the bottom of this.

When I receive any information, ill post back.

Thanks all :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Just to let you all know that I havent forgotten about this thread - still waiting for an answer (Sony Engineers probably still investigating)

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vlad87  @starwarsclark 

Hi guys

Unfortunately Sony have come back and said that they cannot replicate this issue - and therefore not a widespread issue.

However can you please confirm if you are still experiencing this issue, as the next step is to escalate this to Sony Support on an individual basis - in case you both experience the same issue but different reasons. 

Can you also confirm that you are on the latest firmware and done a factory reset - Reading back, I believe you both have.

Cheers.

Vlad87
Explorer

@Anonymous 

Hi,

Just updated to the latest firmware available on 11/08/2014 and did a factory reset. Unfortunately it did not fix the problem. Really hope this gets sorted out.

Thanks

Vlad

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vlad87 - Thanks for the comfirmation.  I also have my fingers crossed for you (and others) in the hopes of Sony being able to solve this too :slight_smile:

Ive passed on your details/replies to Sony.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Vlad87 

The TV Engineers have responsed with an answer.  They say that the issue is with individual MKV files with certain conditions when it has been encoded.  Unfortunately the exact problem is rather cryptic and I cannot post it. 

However they have suggested the following solution/work-around:

Using a program called MKVToolNix : HERE - remux the specific MKV files.

Ive not used this program before, so....

My next question to them was : Will they issue a FW update to prevent certain 'error' files from totally crashing the TV - I await the answer.

Cheers

Vlad87
Explorer

Hi @Anonymous 

Thanks, I'll give that program a try. Really hope they can sort out the crashing part.

Vlad

starwarsclark
Explorer

Hi,

Thanks for continuing to pursue this.

I have found a few things:

1) If you format a drive in Windows and then copy over a movie, one you are certain plays correctly, to the newly formatted drive, plug it in then the TV will play the movie fine.

2) If you connect a USB drive that already contains movies, so you do not re-format it, then the media player crashes every single time, before it even manages to finish listing all the movies you have on the drive.

The same USB drive plays perfectly on my PC and on 2 other Bluray players so it is not the drive itself.

3. I can get the TV to play files using Serviio but if you add a path to a movie that it doesn't like it crashes the TV when you try to play it.

I am happy to try MKVToolnix but I will not do it for the 400+ movies I have that all play perfectly on every other device I have in the house!

What I cannot understand is why the TV crashes if it doesn't like the file, surely it should just say Format not supported or something like that.

I have the latest firmware and have factory reset the TV twice. No joy so far.

To add - The TV never seems to find any movies/files when you look at the Movies -USB/Home Network tab (via the Home button) it just says Accessing Please Wait and the “progress bars” just keep going from left to right.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys and for the additional info

I will continue to pursue this, but it takes time - Its going to the TV guys in Japan :grin:

Vlad87
Explorer

Hi @Anonymous 

I just had a call from a lady at Sony Customer Support regarding this issue but she wasn't really aware of what the exact problem was. She thought it was an HDD compatibility issue, not the specific file issue and she has not seen this thread either. Just so I know for my future correspondence with her, are they working separately from you on this issue? Because I was talking to her for 10 minutes until I realised she was not briefed properly on the exact problem before getting in touch with me.

Thanks,

Vlad