Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix

SOLVED
profile.country.da_DK.title
Tolle68
Visitor

Netflix

Hi,

can I get Netflix to work with my KDL46HX823? We now have Netflix in DK but I cannot find an app for this on my TV.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
drhowells
New

I can't give a definitive answer on this, but I can give some background:

First, it has only just launched, so IF it is coming to the 2011 model TVs, it will take some time before the app is ready.

In the UK, Netflix used a new kind of security for their service which would not work on these TVs. I don't know if they have done the same in Denmark (I searched but could not find any info). To be honest though, my assumption would be they would on a new service like Denmark. If this is the case, Netflix will not be on your TV. The US use an older version which works fine on these TVs.

So, you are going to need an official answer from a Sony rep, but I hope that will help clarify their answer.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
stefantpedersen
Visitor

Same issue on the KDL40EX720.

his model supports Netflix in USA, so why not in Denmark?

profile.country.fi_FI.title
mikjul
Visitor

I also need to know this. I have a Bravia EX72(4). I can't find Netflix anywhere on the TV. Will it be enabled via update and if yes, when will that happen?

drhowells
New

I can't give a definitive answer on this, but I can give some background:

First, it has only just launched, so IF it is coming to the 2011 model TVs, it will take some time before the app is ready.

In the UK, Netflix used a new kind of security for their service which would not work on these TVs. I don't know if they have done the same in Denmark (I searched but could not find any info). To be honest though, my assumption would be they would on a new service like Denmark. If this is the case, Netflix will not be on your TV. The US use an older version which works fine on these TVs.

So, you are going to need an official answer from a Sony rep, but I hope that will help clarify their answer.

Catmambo
Contributor

Yes DrHowells is correct, unfortunately it won;t be available on these devices. Easiest way to add it is via any 2012 Blu-ray player like the BDP-S390 for example or Google TV.

Thanks

mcp_dk
Visitor

I read this and thought i would check this with Netflix. I called their support and they told me that they did NOT change anything in the DRM code when they launched the service in Denmark. They use the same DRM as they do in the US. So your answer regarding technical changes in DRM between US and DK is not valid.

I have a KDL-46NX723. It was bought in May 2012 but i realise that this may still be a "2011 model" in your book.

When i used Netflix via unblock-us.com my TV automatically had the Netflix app and it worked great. Now that i have switched to Danish DNS the Netflix app is no longer available. So the TV is perferctly capable of running the Netflix app and there are no changes technical cahnges in the DRM between US and DK.

1) The app is ready. It works fine on the TV

2) There is no change in the DRM between US and DK

So Sony, Get your act together and open up for the Netflix app on the TV's that supports it.

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi MCP_DK

Playready was rolled out on 2012 devices, on devices prior to this, they used a Sony solution which is what US devices prior to 2012 used.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/25/netflix-goes-with-microsoft-playready-drm-for-upcoming-streaming-de...

See an interesting thread here from another forum http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-General/WD-TV-Live-HUB-does-NOT-support-Netflix-in-Europe...

As you have seen technically the TV's can support the service via these kind of services however this is a workaround and officially not supported as the studios now mandate tougher DRM standards on newer devices, so we are unable to bring the service to older devices becuase of the DRM requirements.

Hope this clarifies things.

Thanks

C0nph1g
Visitor

I am looking at the extra promotional space for Love Film on Sony TVs and the large proportion of Sony Entertainment content featuring on LF.

I wouldn't rule out a commercial decision to delay or exclude Netflix. Sony is an odd beast and one arm often contradicts another. DRM is a smokescreen for many things.

We could wait a very long time to see competition in our devices in the UK.

Catmambo
Contributor

There is no commercial reason to not have Netflix - I'd love for it to be available on more devices as it would be a revenue driver for us, but as explained, its technically not possible.

Thanks