Join now - be part of our community!

What's the file format Sony uses for recording from Bravia onto USB drives?

profile.country.en_GB.title
dvdsmpsn
Visitor

What's the file format Sony uses for recording from Bravia onto USB drives?

After using my USB drive to record programmes from my TV, it's no longer readable on my Mac

In fact 5 "Linux" partitions were created on my 120GB Toshiba USB drive:

• The Mac seems to think that the filesystem is Linux based. Is this true?
  • What format are the video files?
  • Is it some Sony-only file format based on vendor lock-in? Or are Sony more open these days?

Message was edited by: dvdsmpsn

Message was edited by: dvdsmpsn

Tags (3)
33 REPLIES 33
pusaqall
Visitor

Most HD TV uses .mkv for HD movie files.

dvdsmpsn
Visitor

Thank you for your answer.

OK, to follow up:

• What filesystem does Sony use?
  • How do I read the USB hard drive from my Mac (with Snow Leopard installed)? 
Bravia55HX

Hi,

you cant, this is to prevent copyright infringement and whatever you have recorded onto it can only be viewed by your tv.

dvdsmpsn
Visitor

OK, thanks for the answer.

I don't mind not being able to access the recording. I guess the copyright owner of the TV show has rights there.

I do mind not being able to access my USB hardware using a computing device of my choosing -- It's my USB drive, so why keep the filesystem format a secret? Would it perhaps be readable on a Sony Vaio computer?  What's the reason for vendor lock-in here?

Bravia55HX

Hi,

we have asked Sony on many occasions to provide detailed information with regards to the use of USB flash drives or powered HDD's and their use on Sony tv's to no avail, many of us on here have found out the hard way that once the tv has "formatted" the drives for use it renders them useless on any other device!, naturally this is unacceptable as some of these drives are very expensive, there is a way to re format the drive once the offending partition has been removed for use on pc's again, one or two of us have succeeded but many have not!, i personally would not bother with this (the TiVo box does what i need!), so to summarise, if you must have a hard drive to record from the tv then get one just for that.

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

I cannot claim that it is correct. I think that Sony uses some sqlite database structure with some sort of encryption. I think that you can only see the recording with the TV that you made them. In other words indistinctively of the file system they use, which maybe any of the file system used by Linux you may not be able to access the recording directly. You may be able to access the disk and data in it but still you will need to unencrypt the recording to make it playable by any other media player. mkv is only a container holding some mp4, h264 or similar high definition capable format. A good guess would be mp4 because these TV’s can handle mp4 very well but cannot tell which format it is. I would NOT expect Sony to reveal this sort of technical information. They never have been very open nor they will be.

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

I do not think that the file system format is secret. The problem is that that particular file system is not understood by Windows or Mac machines. However if you use any Operating System that understand the file system you should have access to the device. So it is irrelevant whether you use a Sony Vaio computer. The operating system is the key to be able to access you hard disk. If your Mac tells you that it is a Linux partition the you should use a computer running Linux and then you should be able to read and write to it.

The most common file system readable by almost all system is FAT. However this one cannot store files larger than 2 GB, NOT Sony’s fault, which is a problem when you are recording high definition where an hour can take around 4 GB. MAC and NTFS are able to overcome this problem but they are proprietary solutions. In other words Sony might need to pay to patents rights to use them. In the other hand Linux is free for everyone to use whether for profit or not. It can also be installed in Sony Vaio’s and MAC’s and a great number of computers. Please note that I am NOT recommending installing Linux in your MAC or Vaio. If you try to install it you may lose all the information in your computer. The best solution is to have a disk exclusively for the TV recording, preferably one with external power supply so that you do not feel tempted to share with other devices.

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

Just to add I AM NOT a Sony Representative, sony_cust11 stands for sony customer

Bravia55HX

i knew that!, and so will everyone else now!:smileywink: