Join now - be part of our community!

Why won't my Bravia KDL37EX503U play mp4 files from BBC I-player via memory stick?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
beano16
Visitor

Why won't my Bravia KDL37EX503U play mp4 files from BBC I-player via memory stick?

Hi all - new to this and not very technical so forgive if I don't see the obvious.

My family and I want to view some BBC programmes that I've downloaded using BBC I-player. We can't all sit round the computer monitor so I thought ah hah they're all in mp4 format  so easy... download them from my computer onto a memory stick, shove it into the usb slot on the Sony Bravia and bingo we can watch them on tv!

Sadly, all I get is the message "Playback not available". Yet the TV will playback other mp4 format vids that I have (albeit without sound).

Any thoughts please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bernie-the-Bolt

Hello again!

Now, from what you say above I assume that you are still with BT. So am I, and after only two years with them I requested, and got, a new BT home hub, all for my annual subscription at no extra cost. My wife enjoys iPlayer now more than I do and she was most upset at my buying home plugs until she realised that she could enjoy all that BBC offered via the Sony Bravia iPlayer 'app' on a full size TV. Suddenly the outlay was forgiven! And they are now much cheaper for far better transmission speeds. I would recommend that 200Meg are quite adequate, mine are only 85Meg. Via DNLA Serviio from my PC she can watch 'Corrie' too, but that's another story, let's keep things simple! The iPlayer app on the TV is not the same as that on a PC, and I suspect that any issues are from the big wide world to your PC.

Talk to your network provider first (BT?) and you may be pleasantly surprised. Don't ask, don't get. I have their cheapest home package with basic, 10 GB, broadband and find for general use it is more than adequate for my wife and I.

Within the last hour (writing this 'bit' on Friday 26/10/12 at 3pm)Catmambo has posted this amazing deal for powerplugs;

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/networks-200mbps-powerline-kit-19-99-with-code-pla25-pc-world-134231...

If you can get a new hub (I've one going spare currently for the taking!) I am sure it really will be worth your while.

Keep us updated.

Regards

Bernie

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

May well be security on the files you have downloaded. But you realise you already have iPlayer built into the TV though i think? Just connect it up to the Internet and you are all set.

Thanks

beano16
Visitor

Hi Catmambo and thanks for this. Sorry, I should have added that we don't have wireless and the idea of trailing a cable from my computer (upstairs) to the TV (downstairs) is something that my wife will not put up with. Hence the need for a usb!

Yea you could be right about the security on the I-player. Looks like there's no workaround. :slight_frown:

Catmambo
Contributor

No need for cables - get a pair of homeplugs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?s=el...

Something like this will be perfect and allow you to connect the TV to your router downstairs.

Hope this helps

Bernie-the-Bolt

Hi

I have the same set and connected to my hub (therefore connected to my PC and t'internet) via homeplugs through standard power sockets, works a treat!

Look at my guide here for assistance; https://www.sony.ie/discussions/thread/141156

It does relate to BT Home Hubs (which I have) but all other basics should hold true.

Good luck, and come back via this post if you have further issues. (I was in your position once. We all have to start somewhere, it's like learning to drive!)

beano16
Visitor

Hi Catmambo and thanks for the advice. At the risk of sounding seriously prehistoric,  I don't actually possess a router for my PC. I have an ancient  BT Voyager modem. Would these homeplugs work with a modem? Aargh I am so behind the times I've never heard of homeplugs!

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi beano16

Like Bernie says, we all were there at some point. The good news is your tech rehabilitation starts here :slight_smile:

Firstly I'd sort out your broadband. I'm assuming you haven't changed ISPs in a while so its well worth looking around if there is a better deal. Good unbiased piece on MSE - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband on the different options available. If you are looking for a recommendation, personally for me its a toss up between O2 and Virgin Media as both are very good I think, but checkout the reviews first. As part of a new deal, you will get a new modem router which will give you the sockets required.

If you really want to stay with BT, I'd call them up and re-negotiate your package ( again assuming you haven't done this in the last 12 months) and make sure they supply you with one of their new home hubs, again which will give you the sockets required to connect using Homeplugs.

Hope this helps

Thanks

beano16
Visitor

Hi Bernie-the-Bolt ( now there's a name that takes me back to b&w TV). Thanks for the guide which looks just what I need - assuming Catmambo's response to my query is in the affirmative! Your reassurance much appreciated, too.

PS The Sony website crashed while I was uploading this message to  Bernie-the-Bolt last night.

beano16
Visitor

Hi Catmambo & Bernie-the-Bolt

I've been mulling over all the the cost and hassle of going down the router and homeplugs road. I'm extremely grateful for your advice but I'm starting to wonder whether it's all worth it for the minimal usage I'm likely to make of internet TV - especially in these austere times.

A week ago I emailed the BBC about the I-player problem and, buried amongst all the verbiage and hand-washing of their response today was this intriguing statement:  "Unfortunately, we're unable to offer support for individual setups. Some devices can play BBC I-Player Windows Media Player downloads.However they must support DRM protected WMV files."

(My emphasis for clarity.)

Unfortunately, I haven't a clue what this is. Do you? If you download a BBC I-player programme and go to where its stored on your computer it appears in either mp4 format for playing on your comp or WMV format for what is called sideloading depending on the download option you select. But I cannot find any evidence of  security.

Bernie-the-Bolt

Hello again!

Now, from what you say above I assume that you are still with BT. So am I, and after only two years with them I requested, and got, a new BT home hub, all for my annual subscription at no extra cost. My wife enjoys iPlayer now more than I do and she was most upset at my buying home plugs until she realised that she could enjoy all that BBC offered via the Sony Bravia iPlayer 'app' on a full size TV. Suddenly the outlay was forgiven! And they are now much cheaper for far better transmission speeds. I would recommend that 200Meg are quite adequate, mine are only 85Meg. Via DNLA Serviio from my PC she can watch 'Corrie' too, but that's another story, let's keep things simple! The iPlayer app on the TV is not the same as that on a PC, and I suspect that any issues are from the big wide world to your PC.

Talk to your network provider first (BT?) and you may be pleasantly surprised. Don't ask, don't get. I have their cheapest home package with basic, 10 GB, broadband and find for general use it is more than adequate for my wife and I.

Within the last hour (writing this 'bit' on Friday 26/10/12 at 3pm)Catmambo has posted this amazing deal for powerplugs;

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/networks-200mbps-powerline-kit-19-99-with-code-pla25-pc-world-134231...

If you can get a new hub (I've one going spare currently for the taking!) I am sure it really will be worth your while.

Keep us updated.

Regards

Bernie