Join now - be part of our community!

X9005A HDMI 4 Upgrade For HDCP 2.2/FMP -X5 Media Player

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
sound10

X9005A HDMI 4 Upgrade For HDCP 2.2/FMP -X5 Media Player

Hi everyone, just wondering what Sony will be doing for it's UK Customers who own earlier versions of the X9005A, including myself with the HDMI 4 port seperate on the back, rather than together in later versions. From what I've read on the web, the later versions of this TV with the HDMI 4 port upgraded support HDCP 2.2, whereas the earlier versions of this TV don't. This upgrade will become necessary once the FMP - X5 Media Player is launched.

US Customers who own earlier versions of this TV are being looked after by Sony as they are being offered a free in house upgrade.

However with regards to UK Customers, Sony UK have said nothing. Some poeple have tried to find out what Sony UK will be doing with regards to this, but apparently have been ignored. This is not good enough imho.

Please could Sony UK let us customers know what they are going to do with regards to this asap.

Thanks  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

I know this is a little late (for most) - But I have received confirmation that Call Centre staff have been briefed and are aware of the HDCP 2.2 upgrades.

Cheers.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Unfortunately there has been a major miss-communication in regards to the HDCP 2.2 upgrades and TV replacements.

This is the correct information on what I have been told:

Identification:
----------------
- The FMP-X5 will not be available until September.
- Any upgrades to HDCP 2.2 will be identified as per normal process

HDCP 2.2 Upgrades
------------------
- Pacifica Group will come out on site from September onwards for the upgrade to HDCP 2.2
- They will bring a FMP-X5 to test
- The Parts will NOT be in-stock until September.

Parts Confusion:
---------------------
According to Sony : If indeed they look at Part-Stock today, they will see ETA - To Be Advised. This is normal. But... NO STOCK means - ETA is next year. Those parts should be available by then (meaning September time).

So simply, this is an incorrect interpretation of the system (or system design error)

Replacement TV Confusion:
-----------------------------
Question : Pacifica Group UK have offered customers the X9005B TV as a replacement - will this still go ahead?

Answer : They should not have. Replacements are offered when in-warranty panel repairs are required. So if they did offer, they made an error (so if they need to comply to keep their word, I'm afraid they'll need to cover costs too. However, that will be case by case, they will try to explain what went wrong).

I hope this clears things up.
Thanks all.

View solution in original post

80 REPLIES 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there sound10

I think it would be best for you to contact Sony directly on this matter - Its just that these forums are not designed for direct communications to/from Sony

I note that you said that some people have contacted Sony in regards to this, and not received an answer (as of yet).  Contact them anyhow, if you receive an answer (or no answer) please post back.

Contact Details:

http://services.sony.co.uk/support/en/contacts/tvhc

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Hi Quinnicus, thanks for your reply and help. I have contacted Sony UK with regards to this and awaiting their response. Will update this thread once that response is received.

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Hi, had a response from Sony UK with regards to this. This issue has been passed onto the higher management team within Sony UK who are still deciding what to do with regards to this. Let's hope that the outcome will be a positive one and a free HDMI upgrade offered which has already been done in the US.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool - Thanks for the update.  This is probably the reason why no one else has been able to get an answer - Sony dont know themselves yet :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

From what I've read on the web, the HDMI 4 port upgrade is not very expensive to do. Also, I think it's in Sony's best interest to keep us early adopters happy. After all we have paid a huge premium for these sets.Also, the HDCP 2.2 upgrade will become necessary to view copy protected commercial 4K content now and in the future. Without that this TV's as good as useless for 4K viewing (doubly so because it doesn't support any 4K playback over USB).
Thanks to Geoff_D at avforums for bringing this issue to light. :slight_smile:

cheesemonster
Explorer

I see that the features list for the X5 says in the footnotes that "Some TVs may need a circuit board exchange for HDCP2.2", so it's confirmed that A) the X5 has HDCP 2.2 and B) that the earliest sets do not.

I guessed as much, but what I want to know now is what the hell Sony are going to do about it? I've sent letters, emails, and had NOTHING in reply. It's an absolutely disgusting way to treat a customer who's bought a TV that cost the best part of four grand, who now faces being penalised for being one of the first to buy a 4K TV and support their new products. I won't make that mistake again. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

I have requested from Sony details in regards to this issue in the hope that they either feed it back to me (and then I feed it back to you) or that they make a clear statement on what will/will not happen.

If/When I get information, Ill post back.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Hi Quinnicus,

Could we also find out the age of the X9005A 's that are affected by this, perhaps the serial number range ?

Cheers

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ill see what I can do.  :slight_smile:

However if im reading the AV Forums thread correctly - is it the placement of the HDMI port 4 that could determine whether you are affected or not?

Cheers