Join now - be part of our community!

Android 12, Google Photos won't play 4K videos

SOLVED
profile.country.PT.title
NunoSEN2
Hero

Android 12, Google Photos won't play 4K videos

Hello;

Just found out, probably after Android 12 update, that my Xperia 1 III won't play 4K videos taken with the Photo Pro app with the Google Photos app. Trying to open any 4K video with Google Photos makes the Photo Pro app to freeze when choosing video recording and that is solved only by restarting the phone. Anyone facing the same issue? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.US.title
akitoldn

Yeah, you can ignore that advice from Official Support.

Today the update via OTA has arrived: 61.1.A.4.78 (UK version).

I can confirm that after installing the update (without doing any hard reset) the problem with 4K HDR videos has been resolved. Cheers!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.PT.title
NunoSEN2
Hero

Already did some more testing and the problem seems to be with 4K HDR videos, non HDR 4K seems to play, and also Full HD HDR. After recording 4K HDR when trying to play with Google Photos the video player freezes and also the Photo Pro app video recorder, only unfreezing by restarting the phone 

profile.country.US.title
akitoldn

Same problem here. Trying to open any 4K or HDR video with Google Photos (the default app gallery) makes the app to freeze, and then you can not play any type of video. Solved only by restarting the phone.

profile.country.GB.title
Faffmeister
Explorer

Same issue... Very annoying 

profile.country.GB.title
Faffmeister
Explorer

Seems that the software update today fixed it....

I asked Sony support about this yesterday. They said 

Screenshot_20220404-141226.png

Absolutely rubbish advice that would have led to loss of data. Glad I ignored them 🤷‍♂️

profile.country.US.title
akitoldn

Yeah, you can ignore that advice from Official Support.

Today the update via OTA has arrived: 61.1.A.4.78 (UK version).

I can confirm that after installing the update (without doing any hard reset) the problem with 4K HDR videos has been resolved. Cheers!

profile.country.GB.title
Faffmeister
Explorer

Yes exactly what I just said 😉

Piscie
Community Team

Thanks for updating the thread for us guys! Make sure to highlight the solution as the solved reply.