Join now - be part of our community!

Blurry edges with the 24 mm on the Xperia 1 II

SOLVED
profile.country.DE.title
dafdeharde
Explorer

Blurry edges with the 24 mm on the Xperia 1 II

The 24 mm lens of the rear camera creates photos with blurry edges that seem to get less noticeable the closer you get to the object like in these photos (Photo Pro app, auto mode, central focus always on the wall). I think I have seen other Xperia 1 II images on the web showing similar blurry edges, so I wonder whether this is a common problem or just a problem with my phone. The ultrawide angle and the telephoto lens do not show this behaviour and are sharp all across the frame.

20210413_074202.JPG20210413_074259.JPG20210413_074325.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

You can try to contact Sony to arrange a repair service for the phone as long as it happened with all the camera apps , you can try some troubleshooting steps on the camera app before you go for repair, check this link: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/mobile-phones-tablets/articles/00235707

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Piscie
Community Team

Hi dafdeharde,
If I were you, I'd make sure that the screen protector is not preventing the camera! Also, try to clear the cache & data from the camera app: Settings - Apps & Notifications - Camera.Also, you can try software repair if it doesn't work.

Hope it helps!

profile.country.DE.title
dafdeharde
Explorer

Thanks a lot. Tried it, but didn't help (I have the newest firmware 58.1.A.5.55 installed). It is the rear camera, no screen protector there. I get the same blurry edges with the standard camera app, the Photo Pro app, and the Open Camera app (that one uses the main 24 mm lens). So it looks suspiciously like a (hardware) lens problem.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

You can try to contact Sony to arrange a repair service for the phone as long as it happened with all the camera apps , you can try some troubleshooting steps on the camera app before you go for repair, check this link: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/mobile-phones-tablets/articles/00235707

profile.country.DE.title
dafdeharde
Explorer

Hi,

troubleshhooting (according to the link) didn't help, so I guess that means repair service 😞

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

You can also try to do software repair by the Xperia Companion before sending the device to repair and check again.

profile.country.DE.title
dafdeharde
Explorer

I give up,

software repair didn't help (that was no surprise). However, service worked and my Xperia was exchanged, I got a new one. 

And the nasty surprise: the same problem with the same lens. So either I am really unlucky or there is something generally wrong with the 24 mm lens. "I give up" meaning, I am not in the mood to exchange the Xperia for the second time and re-install everything yet again. Can't recommend the Xperia anymore (which is sad, because I have 2 Sony cameras and I would always try to convince photographers to switch to Sony).

Yet again: blurriness and distortion in the cornersYet again: blurriness and distortion in the corners

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Oh sorry to hear that.

Did you try to do the troubleshooting steps above on the new phone's camera in this case?

profile.country.DE.title
dafdeharde
Explorer

Yes, I did all of that. It is definitely not a software problem. You get the same problem with other photo apps and system updates (I have now build 58.1.A.159) had no effect. The blurry edges are most prominent when you shoot "landscape photos", that is, when you are further away from the object. The closer you get, the less blurry they are, but they never disappear (even at a 15 cm distance). A work-around is cropping the images to 3:2 or 16:9 format. That helps a bit, still, it is a bit annoying that the best lens shows these faults whereas the 16 mm and 70 mm are sharp to the edges.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Did you try to report this to Sony again?