Join now - be part of our community!

Cost of replacing screen/back glass for Xperia 1 or 1 II?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Speedbird139
Explorer

Cost of replacing screen/back glass for Xperia 1 or 1 II?

How much does it cost to get a cracked screen/back glass replaced from Sony? Hopefully no one would have had the experience with the 1 II, so I wouldn't mind numbers for the 1. Will my 1 II stop working if I do manage to crack the screen/back glass?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

How long is a piece of string eh...

It could be a small-ish knock by your standards, anywhere, maybe a slight crack, but the impact might have been enough to damage it.

The cracks in the back, whilst mostly not that bad, it's the ones on the front, and you are through the screen onto the digitiser part of it, then thats mostly a goner.

Screens and digitisers are usually just as one now, and anything major happens to the screen is bad.

I don't know how much from Sony, I dread to think what an our of warranty repair would cost(would they class it as out of warranty, as it's not their fault?), but to buy an OEM Xperia 1 screen on the few places I looked was around £200, and I doubt that was legitmate, TBH.

Best bet is to get your phone insured either through your house insurance, or a policy, if you didn't take the ones networks usually push.

My familys electronics are part of an extra on the insurance, but worth it, as we've had a couple of claims over the years, with heavy hands!! 😃

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

How long is a piece of string eh...

It could be a small-ish knock by your standards, anywhere, maybe a slight crack, but the impact might have been enough to damage it.

The cracks in the back, whilst mostly not that bad, it's the ones on the front, and you are through the screen onto the digitiser part of it, then thats mostly a goner.

Screens and digitisers are usually just as one now, and anything major happens to the screen is bad.

I don't know how much from Sony, I dread to think what an our of warranty repair would cost(would they class it as out of warranty, as it's not their fault?), but to buy an OEM Xperia 1 screen on the few places I looked was around £200, and I doubt that was legitmate, TBH.

Best bet is to get your phone insured either through your house insurance, or a policy, if you didn't take the ones networks usually push.

My familys electronics are part of an extra on the insurance, but worth it, as we've had a couple of claims over the years, with heavy hands!! 😃

profile.country.GB.title
Speedbird139
Explorer

Thanks, finally got insurance from O2 today, better for peace of mind than being terrified of breaking it! :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

I use these guys

brilliant and they dont use inferior quality CHINESE knockoffs

Around 161 dollars for a replacement screen for xperia 1

33 dollars for back battery covcer repalcement

https://www.witrigs.com/accessories-for-sony-xperia-1

Xperia 1 Mark II replacement parts

https://www.witrigs.com/accessories-for-sony-xperia-1-ii

hope thart helps

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
profile.country.GB.title
Speedbird139
Explorer

Hey, thanks, glad to hear that O2 use OEM replacements. Looking at the cost for a replacement display/back glass, getting insurance was definitely the right call!

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

yup its always worth buying insurance for expensive phones.

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
tommytranter
Explorer

Beware the Xperia 1 II and adverts stating it's Gorilla glass is 'droop proof'. 

+ it is Extremely slippery! Mine slides off tables by itself (I'm guessing slight vibrations from the phone and the tiniest incline is all it needs)

Mine fell only about 2ft and cracked. 

So yes- insurance and a case/protector is a must on this phone.

- It's difficult to get an OEM screen (that link above is out of stock, and Sony fob you off to SBE, a 3rd party ( have to send off) - and don't acknowledge this phone has a serious problem.

If you have a phone that is this slippy + this fragile  = then there's going to be a lot of broken screen's at the consumer's time and expense.

My last Xperia was much more robust for sure.