Join now - be part of our community!

question about screen resolution

Jonyny
Visitor

question about screen resolution

If I remember correctly, although all premium Xperias in past have 4K display, they display majority of contents in FHD (such as home screen etc)  except for certain contents such as photo or video. 

Does Xperia 1 do the same thing, or maybe instead of FHD+, it uses QHD+ like XZ3 or "all time 4K"?

19 REPLIES 19
disimes95
Contributor

Hi @Jonyny 

Thanks for your question. Let´s see what i can find.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Ok so it's "cinemawide 4k" all the time.

The 4k resolution at that aspect is 3840 X 1644 (I believe)

This is also the resolution that 4k movies in 21:9 are presented in if taken from a crop of 16:9 a 3840x2160.

So for all intent and purposes, the screen is an always 4k at cinemawide 21:9

Hope that clears it up for you

Jonyny
Visitor

Thanks for clarification, viridis.

So unlike old premium models which display most contents in FHD (again, like home screen, browser etc),  Xperia 1 display them in 4K all the time.

I personally think it's quite a difference.

Could be big improvement in terms of visual but also could be bad for battey life.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

I don't think the battery life will be hit by much at all tbh, I ran XZ2 premium in 4k for a week and it still easily got me through the day.

Plus, it's about 150 ppi more than the current 1440p xz3 at 18:9 so with the increased optimisation on power by Qualcomm, we're gonna see some nice improvements with no noticeable difference on power.

ds2mph
Visitor

We are waiting for confirmation of Sony official staffs @Jonas @Martin

Chippy_boy
Visitor

No the screen is 1080p unless displaying 4k video or photos.

ds2mph
Visitor

@Viridis wrote:

This is also the resolution that 4k movies in 21:9 are presented in if taken from a crop of 16:9 a 3840x2160.

Are you sure?https___i.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

@ds2mph wrote:

@Viridis wrote:

Are you sure?https___i.jpg

I was then, unfortunately I took that info from a site that stated this but it, and subsequently I, was wrong.

I do believe that the resolution shown in your image (which should show up soon as I just accepted it) is the correct resolution for the UI and general use, with the resolution changing to 4k as with the previous "Premium" line of handsets

RihoAhagon69
Visitor

But, according to Gsmarena, it has always 4k displaying.