Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Xperia 1 overheating

rayjeek
Explorer

Sony Xperia 1 overheating

I had this phone in January 2020 but last two weeks it just overheats even when not in use and shut down. In such situation the power cannot be turn on except by forced power on procedure(pressing Volume+Power on button simultaneously). I believe the phone is within warranty period and would like it to be changed. Does anyone knows how to kick start this procedure. Thank you in advance.

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Are there apps or programmes not letting it go to sleep if its overheating when not in use.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

The procedure can be kickstartted from within the Support App on your device.

Find Support either in the app drawer or in settings.

The Support app can help you troubleshoot as well.

Tap home on the bottom left, tap device overview and look at app issues

Tap home, then tap troubleshooting, swipe below the 'have you tried this' to find safe mode and test in safe mode.

Last but not least the 'contact us' icon brings you where you were asking to go to.

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

I agree with Fox Breath

9/10 this overheating is caused by erroneous software

boot up in safe mode and try again.

Its very strange I have have had THREE XPERIA 1's (two black and one grey-still have one black)

never had an over heating problem in all of them and i work mine like crazy.

Gilgamesh the first ONE and ONLY King
profile.country.GB.title
Sony_UK

Hello,

Is there perhaps a test or a review on your  YouTube channel for the devices heating up possible?

I have changed my Xperia 1 (purple this time) after my last one was overheating. I too have had maybe 4 now and the last one was overheating.

This one is a lot better, I have been testing it and it does heat up after recording 4k (maybe 6-10 to minutes HDR on)then taking night pics (flash on) or pics straight after with the flash on, maybe from my testing I can get off around 15-20 pics with the flash on and that's spamming the capture button right after each pic before it gets too hot and shuts down.

I have tested it with the battery bank plugged into the device and then recording a good 10 minute 4k video with HDR on and stabilization off and then after stopping recording going straight to camera and taking pics without flash (which obviously you can get a lot of pics) and with flash (it then heats up getting about 12-16 pics maybe), again no pauses in between taking pictures, just hitting the capture button on right after it has taken a pic and is available again before It  needs to shut it off due to overheating.

Again it might seem excessive but I want to know the phones limits as, when I'm on holiday I have a photo and video spammer capture mentality.

Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

On my review channel I have tested the phone on 4k in the middle of the desert...literally!

I have no issues with overheating.

Perhaps you have a faulty phone or some sort of camera software interfering with the device

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

Tell you what, 

I ll purchase a temp gun on the 14th and get to work testing it for you, will produce a video.

profile.country.GB.title
Sony_UK

I did have an issue with the Xperia 1 black that I had got and returned that as that was over heating mad.

I got the one I have currently like 2 weeks ago and so far it seems ok, I did test it today and recorded 35 minutes straight 4k HDR and then took some normal photos I'm day light and it was ok.

profile.country.GB.title
Sony_UK

That would be really great.

I suppose the way I'm testing it is, I record 4k HDR for about between 5-10 minutes then take photos straight away.

Some of the photos I'll turn on the flash and if it's night then it will turn in the flash anyway, and it will heatup the phone obviously but normally I can get about 10 photos in before it has to close th app due to the heat warning message and force closes it.

Again, In normal circumstances between Vida and photos it would be, better timed and spaced out and not right after the other.

Again I did test it today in the kitchen helping the wife cook so th kitchen was very warm and just kept it at record 4k HDR for 35 minutes straight and took about I would say 10 photos but from what I recall It didn't shut down even if there was a message in regards to it heating up.

I guess what I'm trying to do is know it's limits and I did look at your Dubai Vids and I can see the longest was just over 11 minutes. 

profile.country.GB.title
Gilgameshuk
Contributor

yes longest was only 11 mins ,but the outside ambient temp at the time was literally 48c