Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Xperia Pro-i and FilmicPro / Smooth Q3 Gimbal etc.

profile.country.DE.title
DidiEx
Explorer

Sony Xperia Pro-i and FilmicPro / Smooth Q3 Gimbal etc.

Hallo together,
2 weeks ago a get the new Pro-i Phone. After some problems with transver a lot of accounts to the new phone I start to whatch for a Gimbal. Today a buy the Smooth Q3 on Amazon. I hope it worked fine with FilmicPro.
Do you have any suggestions for thisi combo?
If it dont work together i maybee try the Smooth 4. Smooth 5 does not work with FilmicPro at the moment.

I came from Samsung S9+ with Adobe Software and integrated tools for editing on this Phone.
As I know on the Pro-I there is only Google Fotos App for editing. Am I wrong?  I can find no other. A App like Galerie on Samsung is also missing. Okay there are some 3rd. party Apps to work with but i thought Sony brings some nice tools on board.
Sorry for my bad english.
Greetings from Germany

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

I use a smooth 4 and have the pro-I also, this is my take on your questions.

The gimbal will work for keeping the shots smooth, mine has never had an issue with any Xperia, however the zhiyun software is garbage with the only exception being the motion time lapse. The rest will film at awful bitrates and not full resolution.

Filmic pro will communicate with the gimbal for better software support direct to the gimbal controls, or rather it should. I know my zhiyun works well, so I imagine the Q3 will too.

The same Adobe software is available for the Pro-I, I use lightroom daily and will attempt to use premier before realising how rubbish it is and then offload my videos to SSD in order to edit on a pc version of premier, or on my iPad using LumaFusion.

The integrated tools on nearly every mobile are nothing more than glorified trimming tools, and even then on export you'll find the bitrate has been halved from bad export settings.

The video files from videography pro app are up to 140mbps h.265, for a mobile the size is massive, even larger files than cinema pro. Files like that need dedicated editing apps with good export options, sadly android is lacking in good video editors, but I believe lumafusion is coming so will pretty much wipe out all the others.

For photo album, yes it has default of Google photos for its album, a quick Google search showed me there was a version of Sony's album that works with pro-I and I found a few good ones on play store too.

All in all:

Filmic should work with smooth.

Don't use built in editors they suck.

Enjoy your pro-I

profile.country.DE.title
DidiEx
Explorer

Hello Lord Viridis
I did some tests with the Q3. You are right. The Q3 takes the shots smoothly and works without any problems. Filmic Pro and Zhiyun Software also work. But as you said, the recordings with the software seem to jerky to me. I also work with Adobe Suite for post-processing. The interaction of different apps is slowly getting better for me. There are some big differences between my old Samsung S9+ and the Pro-I. Thank you very much for your comment and you too, have fun with your Pro-I

profile.country.US.title
randallgould007
New

Just bought my Sony Experia Pro 1.

I'm new to filmography, so much of what you posted went way over my head. I have MUCH to learn..

But it's obvious to me by what I read,  you definitely seem to know what your talking about and thus really appreciate your time and willingness to help.

Having said all of that, which gimbal should I purchase?

Thanks again.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

In regards to which gimbal, I myself use zhiyun smooth 4, but find myself missing the joystick controls found on DJI osmo mobile devices, the new smooth 5 apparently has this joystick also so might consider that model when I next update my gimbal.

For now I'd have to recommend smooth 4 or DJI OM4 or OM5

profile.country.DE.title
DidiEx
Explorer

I make some  more videos with the Q3. It works fine, has a joystick but I am missing the zoom funktion an the other things you can do if the smartphone is fully compatible with the Q3 software. Filmic is okay but the Sony software is quite better i think. Maybe Sony give us some updates to work with this gimbals. 
On the other hand i have some problems then i recording video with my Pro I. Sometimes ther are some dropped frames. They are not a problem of the display software. I make a check in Adobe Premiere frame by frame and some frames are missing. I check that later if i have more time.   

profile.country.AU.title
sydneysidesteve
New

@DidiEx, hello.

How does the Q3 gimbals phone clamp work with the Xperia Pro1's camera layout in landscape mode (most other phones seem to have the camera more towards the top corner), and does the fingerprint sensor become blocked by it?

Cheers, Steve.