Join now - be part of our community!

Video camera questions

profile.country.GB.title
martin868

Video camera questions

I'm really wanting to but the Xperia 1 mk2 but there's two things that are making me hold back, and wondering if Sony may ever upgrade these two features I'm looking for. 

The first feature is NTSC/PAL switching.

Why is this still not available on smart phones, why all other dedicated Sony cameras offer this option. 3/4 of the world uses PAL TV frame rates as 50Hz frequency, so why are no smart phone video cameras geared up to shoot in this compatible format to the country they are sold in? I'm aware that 30 and 60p works in the UK on modern tv's but the format is not compatible with editing vith video shot on other PAL cameras, and certain 50hz lighting flickers such as street lighting. For a serious videographer living in a 50hz country that wants to travel light, the above mentioned should really be available on all phones yet alone the xperia 1 mk2.

Second question, 

Why is there no 16:9 option in the cinema pro app? Who has a 21:9 TV to benefit the video aspect? It's a waste of screen real estate, and being the xperia doesn't shoot full 4k 16:9 in the cinema pro app, then wouldn't it be better to have the option to crop 16:9 to 21:9 instead of the other way round of cropping 21:9 to 16:9 and losing 4k resolution.

Do you think Sony will listen? 

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback.

I will pass it on.

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

Worth noting that by using the cinema pro setting of 24fps you will end up with a video that is more compatible with pal 50hz displays and video equipment.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Exactly my sentiments.

Cinema Pro is for cinema style shooting, 4k, 24fps, 21:9, filters, etc..

And then you have the  bog standard camera app for every day stuff.

profile.country.GB.title
martin868

I'm glad to see positive replies to my predicaments. 

Please tell Sony that cinema pro is a great app but they should call it video Pro and add PAL options for PAL countries which is 3/4 of the world as well as 16:9 aspect option, that way the phone would be a true camcorder replacement and will sell like hot cakes. I and many Europeans have asked for PAL frame rates for yeas, it would be 100% compatible with our existing PAL cameras, our TV broadcast system and our 50 hz lighting. Is this really too much to ask for?