Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 1 file transfer does not work

Vicky777
Visitor

Xperia 1 file transfer does not work

To download the "Xperia transfer mobile" app it says I do not have the right version on my new Xperia 1... how is that possible..

I want to get all the content of my old Xperia xz. On that device the Xperia transfer app is installer and seems to be working

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Hi @Vicky777 

Indeed, Xperia Transfer Mobile has been discontinued.

On the other hand Google Backup & Restore has been improved lately.

To enjoy a smooth procedure you should reset your Xperia 1.

After a reset you will be guided to Google Backup & Restore.

Start with a backup of your old device to Google Drive.

Screenshot_20190729-231738_1_1.png

Google creates a rather complete backup.

Google backup can be found in Settings->System->Backup.

Data of apps like WhatsApp and Signal are not included in the Google backup.

You'll have to goto the settings of these apps to create your app backup.

As an extra reassurance you'd better copy all your photos from your device to your computer using a USB cable. Just copy the DCIM directory from the phone to your computer. If you have pictures on a SD card then copy DCIM from SD to your computer as well.

To check if your Google backup is recent goto Settings->Accounts->Click on your Google account->Click on Aaccount sync.

Now you're all set for the transfer.

Vicky777
Visitor

Ahhh alright. Thanx for the quick response! 

The problem with Google drive is that I'm out of data, and I don't want to buy an more just for my transfer. Is there another option?

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Can you not use someones wifi connection, for an hour or so.?

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

A reflection.

Do you really need all the space in space.

Can't you delete some?

Or can't you download some to your computer?

I did many resets on different phones and lost much data for sure.

And always, after the initial pain I forgot and went on with my life.

Living is living the future.

On the other hand we're living in a time of progress.

Google developed the transfer in such a way that it can be achieved using Bluetooth!

Read on to my next post.

(which I copied from the Verge, with all credits due)

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Android to Android

1. When you turn on your new phone, the first few steps will be the normal Terms and Conditions kinds of screens. As you tap through, you’ll eventually be asked if you want to bring your data over to the new phone, and you’ll be asked to pick where the data should come from.
  2. Tap “A Backup from an Android Phone,” and you’ll be told to open the Google app on the other phone. Do so, and tap Next.
  3. You’ll be instructed to go to your old phone, launch the Google app (not the Chrome app; the Google app), and tell it to set up your device.
  4. Your old phone will show a Getting Started screen without much information. Tap Next to get started.
  5. The old phone and new phone both want to establish where you’re moving your account in case there’s more than one phone in Bluetooth range. Tap the correct device icon on each phone.
  6. Just to be sure, the phones will both show a screen with numbers and colored shapes to confirm that your data is going to the right place. Those screens are supposed to match. Tap Next on your old phone (notice there’s no place to tap on the new one).
  7. Enter your screen lock code on your old phone and approve the copy to your new phone. Presto — your account will appear on the new phone.
  8. Log in to your Google account on the new phone. It may take a few minutes to download everything, but eventually all your Gmail, Contacts, Calendars, Photos, and backups will appear. What will not appear are all your apps, so there’s one more step.
  9. Launch the Google Play Store. Tap the menu icon, then tap “My apps and games.” You’ll be shown a list of apps that were on your old phone. Pick the ones you want to migrate (you might not want to move brand-specific or carrier-specific apps from the old phone to the new), and download them. While you’re there, update the apps that came with the new phone, too.
pressefr
Contributor

What I used was "ok google aet up my device" through Google Assistant.

azzido
Enthusiast

More and more discontinued, but loss of transfering the files is a shame... Soon Xperia Longue and the others. I hate stock Android thus for next phone will have to switch the brand to something that has more custom Android and unique user experience thanks to dedicated apps that cannot be found in other brands.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

"Dedicated Apps" = Bloatware.

I've owned phones from nearly all brands, and when they start messing with stuff and adding stuff, it's usually always garbage.

Not to mention their "customisations" almost certainly slow the phones down, like a certain brand and their Nand chips that have finite reads and slow down after a month or two, leading to a year down the line, you would swear its the battery causing the phone to shut down early.

The best option, by far and away, is the pure vanilla, or as close to as you can get it, Android, and YOU

pick the apps you want from the store, because I guarantee, anything Samsung or LG come up with, there will be someone who will better it, and it'll be on the Play Store.

pressefr
Contributor

I received my Xperia 1 recently. 

Now and days to transfer the apps from phone to the other. Through Google Assistant say "okay Google Setup my phone"

Regarding singular files; music, photos, and downloads. From Internal to SD Card. Sony took out that feature and you have to use a good old file manager to move them manually.

I guess manual is better because the app, was a bit flawed anyways. It would only move photos in the Pictures folder.

Programs like Snapchat, Sketch (a Sony app). Their folder would sit outside of Pictures folder and would never transfer.phone problem.jpg