Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 1 ii Proximity sensor sensitivity

profile.country.FR.title
mazymoozy
Explorer

Xperia 1 ii Proximity sensor sensitivity

Hi, I've some problems with the proximity sensor. Actually it works but the problem is that it is too sensitive. When I'm on a call and get the phone close to me head, the screen goes off but if my hands move just for few millimeters, then the sensor activates and the screen turns on and then again goes off, so usually the screen will be touched by my ear. Which as a result I can't keep walking and talking cause for sure the screen will get on couple of times. And if I hold the phone exactly at the same location the screen stays off. Can you please confirm if your sensor is as this sensitive? Or there is something wrong with my phone. I'm sure that on all my older Xperia phones it is not like this. 
32 REPLIES 32
profile.country.FR.title
mazymoozy
Explorer

I've done a test for the proximity sensor on the support section and it works but the problem is that let's say the proximity sensor has a range of 5 cm and if anything gets in to that range then the screen goes off and as long as you are in that range the screen should stay off.

In my case if I put my finger at 1 cm distance from the screen which actually triggers the sensor for the screen to goes off, and then move my finger away to 2 cm distance from the screen then the screen turns on again! Which it shouldn't cause my finger is still in the 5 cm range of the sensor!

Can you guys confirm if you all have the same problem as me and it is a bug which will be fixed by software update or if there is something wrong with my sensor. 

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

It's got a range of about an inch, about 2.5cms, nowhere near 5 cms, and no issues here, up to ear, screen off, away from ear, just over an inch, screen on, closer, screen off.

Pretty much the same as previous phones.

profile.country.FR.title
mazymoozy
Explorer

Thanks, so maybe there is something wrong with mine. Just to be exact I just measured and my sensor activates at 4 cm. 

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Bout an inch for mine, using the universal scale of a superking cigarette filter, that had broken off, which was an inch roughly.

profile.country.FR.title
mazymoozy
Explorer

I just uploaded a video on YouTube and did the test for xperia 1 ii vs xz premium proximity sensor. Can you please do the same test and share with me the results. Because I want to know if my phone is faulty or not. Maybe the numbers for you might be different based on the way you do the test. But the important part is for the sensor to deactivates at the same distance when it was activated.

Here is the video link:

Xperia 1 ii vs xz premium proximity sensor test 

profile.country.CZ.title
Deexer
Explorer

Bro, this is probably another bug. I have same problem, when I call, my display usually activates and my things start randomly to activate... My friend same problem too. I hope Sony fix in future update ... 

profile.country.FR.title
mazymoozy
Explorer

are you sure it's a bug? cause some other people told me that they don't have such a problem and their proximity sensor works normal. So I've requested to replace the phone since Sony only refund or replace on the first month and after that they only do repair. 

profile.country.FR.title
mazymoozy
Explorer

Anyone else has this problem? I've tried on two new Xperia 1 ii phones and both are faulty, hope this is software. check the test video.

Xperia 1 ii Proximity sensor problem!!!  

Two new Xperia 1 ii phones have been compared with Xperia xz premium and as you can see the proximity sensor on xperia 1 ii phones are so aggressive and sensitive resulting the screen turning on and off constantly. The same problem happens when you're on a phone call or listening to voice msgs ...
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

So, theyre working fine...I don't see what the issue is.

Wiggling your hand about, so the screen activates and de-activates actually shows it's working, in my view.

You don't even follow the animations principles..it's the palm of the hand..not the tip of your fingers..no wonder its on and off and on and off,etc..