Join now - be part of our community!

XPERIA 1 ii screen washed out.

profile.country.GB.title
CobaltTJ
New

XPERIA 1 ii screen washed out.

I recently bought a refurbished Xperia 1 ii to replace an XZ3, and it's perfect other than the screen feeling a bit washed out. When comparing home screen apps, the same ones on my old device are visibly brighter and more defined.

I've had a look through the display settings and changed them, but it still looks off, and auto adjust brightness is off too.

I'm not sure if it's my device specifically, a setting I'm missing, or I've gotten used to my old phone having higher exposure.

I have a years warranty so can send it back if faulty, but is this normal and does anyone have any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hi @CobaltTJ,

Did you try to adjust the white balance in the display settings?

Also, if possible can you share a picture so that who have the same model can compare between the quality of both devices?

profile.country.GB.title
CobaltTJ
New

Thanks for the reply @EMS_MO72

I have tried adjusting the white balance however it still looks off. A user on another forum mentioned that both models have an OLED panel, so should look much the same colour wise. It could be the case that the previous screen had to be replaced and it was done so with a slightly cheaper component, as when I got the phone the screen was almost in perfect condition.

I shall take a picture of each of them later for a side by side comparison and link that.

profile.country.GB.title
CobaltTJ
New

@EMS_MO72 I've taken some pictures of both devices in the same lighting conditions at the same brightness level, although the XZ3 looks quite bright in comparison. Also took some screenshots of each homescreen which seems pointless in retrospect, but for example the green in spotify is close to the exact same colour (by a difference of 3 red in rgb but for all intents and purposes its the same)

https://imgur.com/a/Hdk1A1u

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

@CobaltTJ If you changed the screen of the Xperia 1 ll before and it was done out of the authorised service of Sony, then this could be the reason behind this, as when you repair the device under Sony service, they provide the exact same spare parts that the device used to have.