Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 1 III slow or robotic voice audio

profile.country.GB.title
Corruptedminds

Xperia 1 III slow or robotic voice audio

So here is the main issue that has been going on since I bought the handset. Anytime I am playing any voice content the audio on the speakers sounds wrong and sort of robotic.

I could say this sounds almost as when you have an issue with resource power in a computer (e.g. Windows having resource problems and you suddenlly hear things gonig slower than normal). However it does not sound slow, but has the same robotic effect on people's voice.

How to reproduce the problem? - I tried playing any of the below:

Youtube videos - anything with someone talking - multiple videos, same issue.

Whatsapp audios

Twitter news video feeds - multiple videos, same issue.

Spotify podcasts

The issue is hard to notice when playing music, so mostly obvious when voice is played.

When did the issue start? - I've noticed the audio problem since the first day on Android 11 and I decided to hold on until Android 12 was installed or other updates by the time, but the issue remains today on Android 12 as well.

I have reported this issue to Sony already but had no much input on this other than factory resetting my handset which I've done at least 3 times by now and the issue still persist. Today I have sent them another email to confirm the issue remains unresolved.

Other tests: I will try playing audio over headphones if I find my old ones but likely to be different. Will see. I can also try voice calls and see whether I replicate this issue on voice calls, just have to find the opportunity and time to annoy someone on the other end just for a test.

Q: Does anyone else have this problem?

Suspected cause of issue is, either bad audio drivers/codecs or a power issue where the device is not getting the power it needs or the snapdragon being throttled all the time.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.PH.title
MarlonUk1
Expert

hello have you tried replicating the problem while on safe mode?

just long tap the power off option and then boot to safe mode

profile.country.GB.title
Corruptedminds

So I have reproduced the issue on safe mode, also have sent recordings of it to Sony support to which they have answered that the audio is playing normally.

As dissapointed with their reply, I have been playing the same content on other handsets to confirm it's not me, and I can still replicate the issue on my Xperia and my other handset plays just fine and normal.

The audio issue is the majority of times observed easier when playing content at a lower volume, speech sounds very weird and processed. Hence the reason why I think this is a power delivery problem.

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @Corruptedminds, have you tried a software repair via Companion as well?

profile.country.GB.title
Corruptedminds

Yeah done that as well, thanks but it didn't make a difference.

This may just be a main Android problem I may have spoted it also on other handsets such as one plus as well so I will have to swallow this one for the time being. I'd just love to collaborate closer with Sony to point out these things I can notice and are ignored by customer services.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Hi there,

Did you try to listen to the same content by using headphones and check if you'll hear the same issue or not?

profile.country.GB.title
Corruptedminds

@EMS_MO72 The issue is with the audio coming from the speakers.

Headphones audio sounds fine, I can notice it immediately as soon as I unplug my headphones.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Have they asked you for a video or something to investigate in this?

profile.country.GB.title
Corruptedminds

Hi! Yes I have provided them a couple of videos - I have recorded some podcasts using diferent apps, using my LG phone (I did my best). However they have replied that there isn't an issue with the audio, so I don't know whether it is the materials used, the processing power, the audio codecs being bad?

I'd like to hear of anyone else who owns a 1 III and  if they have this problem or not. I have also asked to return the handset and sadly they have refused.

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

I didn't hear about this issue before to be Honest but, maybe it's the normal way that it works with.