Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 1 - Launching Camera/ Camera Issues

kgmn_v4x
Visitor

Xperia 1 - Launching Camera/ Camera Issues

Hi everyone,

I just received my X1 yesterday and have been playing with the camera. So I tried to switch between cameras after taking pictures, and the wide angle lens just won't start and asks me to relaunch/ restart the phone for a few times. The 2X zoom was shaking when I was charging my device as well, which scared me a bit. But all these disappeared after I reboot the system.

Also, I was trying to take some low light pictures, it took 5 seconds to complete which is fine (I believe its the dual photodiode thingy), but nothing is being saved to my gallery somehow. After I took the second picture, all the button disappeared just like when I half hold the shutter button. No picture is saved when I check in the gallery, and the camera just won't launch after that. Again, a reboot sort of solved this, but I do need to check again later.  

Has anyone got similar issues with their X1? I am quite worried if this is a device faulty or a system limitation. It will be ridiculous to reboot every time when something like this happens.

10 REPLIES 10
azzido
Enthusiast

OMG! Looks like software is again half baked and not tested properly Slightly_frowning_Face

I am still awaiting to get my device but hope they will work on it with high priority and polish the software for X1.

I think we will be good and out of all those glitches soon. Just need to wait a bit. 

Broken_Dust
Visitor

I'm also facing EXACTLY what you described. Hope you find a solution. I'm out of the UK now (where I bought the phone) so can't do much about it till I return.

Please update us on your situation. 

Bowbow
Visitor

Hi there, I just got my x1 today, and I am having same issue as you, the wife angle lens doesn't start and close the camera app

kgmn_v4x
Visitor

Thanks for your replies. So, I only had that issue in the very first 2 days. There aren't any similar errors occurring after that. It feels like it is because the system is brand new and 'need some time to run smoothly'.  I wouldn't appreciate 'take reboot as solution', time is very important to photographers Grinning_Face 

All my lens are working just fine and I can switch lens quite quickly in between taking pictures now, so I am pretty happy with it. 

Just in case, I did a factory reset 2 days ago and ran the same test, it works just as fine - no other issues noticed up till today.

Another thing I noticed and have a doubt is, I am not sure when does the phone use the middle lens - simply place my finger in front of the lens when I switch between, and my finger is not showing when I switch to 2X zoom. I wonder if this means the phone uses the middle lens as support/ detail addition only but not actually using it to take pictures?

Broken_Dust
Visitor

Maybe you figured it out by now, but to activate the middle camera you need to click the icon that has two circles, one blurred and one not.

I'm glad to hear you don't have the camera crashing anymore. Me too, it sorted itself out in the first week probably from a software update.

Xp3r1a
Visitor

2x zoom is supposed to use the middle lens. I alsso noticed this problem recently when middle lens is not used for 2x zoom. It seems to be temperamental as middle lens is SOMETIMES used for 2x zoom from the finger covering test. 

Broken_Dust
Visitor

You're right, this is strange. I only did the finger covering test once when I first got the phone and 2x zoom did not activate the camera so I assumed that's just how it works. Today I tested again after I read your post and it switched smoothly to the middle camera at 2x zoom. Now I tested again and it doesn't switch.

After further testing I realised that it's switching to the middle camera when I have good light. But in a dark environment it sticks to the top camera. Maybe the top camera has better low light capabilities so the device prioritises it, or it's just a software error.

timtan
New

I have similar issue and not able to switch to 52mm lens, not sure sony is releasing a firmware of android 11 to resolve the issue.