Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 1 V Netflix HD

profile.country.GB.title
seunodueko

Xperia 1 V Netflix HD

The Xperia 1 V does not have Widevine L1 certification, meaning despite its superb display, Netflix videos can only be streamed and/or downloaded in 480p SD resolution!

This is not a chipset or hardware limitation, and there is simply no excuse for a £1,300 flagship phone to only have Widevine L3 support, so hope this major flaw will be corrected soon! 

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey kennycr, how's it going with Sony? What did they tell you? 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey seunodueko, did you try the steps above? Also, did you try to ask Netflix? 

profile.country.GB.title
kennycr
Explorer

Hello,

Still not resolved with Sony support in fact I'm very disappointed with their customer service. The issue was escalated to another team, I was asked to send the phone to their repair centre, I was assured they would send a replacement on receipt of my phone, they received it on Tuesday morning and I've heard nothing since. I will be calling today, very poor.

profile.country.GB.title
kennycr
Explorer

Update:

Sony eventually replaced my phone, it was returned with Android 14 installed. All apps are working as expected.

Mondo79
Explorer

I have the same issue as you. Did you find a solution to the device not being play protected?

Ignore. Just see your latest post.

profile.country.GB.title
seunodueko

Hi Hannah, 

I did another clean re-install of Netflix and that seems to have corrected the issue. Hopefully it will not recur but I think the last time I did that, the fix was only temporary. 

profile.country.GB.title
seunodueko

Hi Kenny, 

To confirm, is Netflix now running Widevine L1 on your replaced phone? 

profile.country.GB.title
kennycr
Explorer

Hi Seunodueko,

That is correct, Netflix is running Widevine L1

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

Same issue here, netflix is playing in SD only with HDR unavailable on my Xperia 1 V running Android 14. I have added Netflix to auto creator mode and also tried running Netflix while in Creator Mode but neither helped.

Can anyone share what they did to fix this?

profile.country.GB.title
seunodueko

The issue hasn't recurred since I did a clean re-install of Netflix, so worth a shot if you haven't tried that already.