Join now - be part of our community!

Google Play system update stuck on 1st February (Xperia 10 III)

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
SpitfireMk

Google Play system update stuck on 1st February (Xperia 10 III)

While trying to update it, it asks me to reboot the system. When I do so, it reboots for a second time on its own and when I check the Google Play system version it didn't change.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
BritSparky

Happy to report that I was offered the security update this morning, and was also able to then correctly update the play store security to the latest. I've also noticed that another slightly annoying bug of the device phone number messages / settings / advanced was being deleted on reboot. The update process took about 20 minutes from start to finish.

Case closed, for me at least.Screenshot_20210715-051758.png

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
profile.country.GB.title
BritSparky

I've got the exact same issue with same handset (purchased yesterday). I've tried a factory reset and reistalling the phone's firmware using the PC companion to no avail.

Very frustrating.

I did notice that the update which seems to fail is very small (500kb or so) It was about to offer me the next one (27Mb) when it promptly rebooted and uninstalled the smaller update.

Piscie
Community Team

Well, try to clear the cache & data from Google Play store by tapping on Settings- Apps & notifications - Google Play Store - Storage - then clear the cached data. Also, try to uninstall the app updates from the 3 dots on top right corner and try the update again.

Hope that works.

profile.country.GB.title
BritSparky

Tried that, no different. I did notice, however, that once i'd cleared the cache and data of the store app the option for "Google Play Security Updates" In Settings - security has disappeared.

Ive also tried clearing cache and data (and even disabling completely ) Google play services app. Still, no change.

My feeling is its got something to do with the play store, but no idea what.

profile.country.DE.title
Dachfrittierer
Explorer

same issue, if i attempt to update to the may update (27mb) the downloadbar goes haywire, it attempts to install and restart. after maybe a minute or two in which the update seemingly installed according to the security tab the phone automatically restarts and rolls back to february

profile.country.GB.title
BritSparky

I've managed to get through to live chat this morning and have reported the issue. They suggested I use the pc companion to reinstall the firmware, but this also fails on the initial reboot into download mode whilst connected to the pc. Shows an error about not having full device info. Again, they are aware. I'd suggest reporting the issue via live chat as I have done, if more report it they'll resolve it faster I hope. I'm also debating whether to somehow report it to Google as it may be an update file which is corrupt. The one just before the 27Mb download which is 557kb seems to be the issue.

profile.country.GB.title
mkerk8
Explorer

Same issue here. I first noticed it when i was getting a second reboot immediately after powering up or rebooting. I also noticed that some websites I had pinned as app-shortcuts from Chrome disappeared. Googling, I ended up on the product support page below, which looks relevant in case you have not spotted it:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/mobile-phones-tablets-mobile-phones/xperia-10-iii/article...

It suggests executing the Google play system update twice, but like the other posters, this does not work for me. I never manage to get to the 2nd update, the reset & roll back to the February system update kicks in.

But at least, it is a sign (?) that Sony is aware and likely affects many users. 

profile.country.GB.title
BritSparky

Thanks for the link, I agree it's no use to us as we can't get past the first update in order to install the second 27Mb one.I can't see why we cant just get one cumulative update.

A couple of things i've noticed after trying again yesterday:

The problem is definitely Google app related, i've installed the latest Play Store update to version 25.9. 19 - 21 (0) (PR) 380694501, which doesn't cure the problem ( the update was offered to me after tapping ther store version number in settings ) when i attempt to install the 544kb security update the handset reboots twice, removes the update and reverts the play store back to the previous version. It's worth noting that attempting to install the erroneous security update with the play store on the earlier version makes no difference to the problem.

One other minor niggle ive discovered...in settings / advanced of the regular sms app, i can input my mobile number and it saves it, but if i reboot the device the number disappears and has to be entered again. On my last hanset (Nokia 3.1) it stayed no matter what.

Hopefully they'll push out a system update to cure all the problems in the near future.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

I think the problem may be:

X10iii is very new, therefore Google has still not added it to the list of Google play services approved devices.

Once they add it, you'll pretty much get prompted for an update within a day or so.

This could also be why any sideloaded Google service updates are removed on reboot.

I would like to think that this issue will sort itself out sooner rather than later tbh.

profile.country.GB.title
BritSparky

Interesting hypothesis...

I've had a look through this list and mine, at least, XQ-BT52 is listed. I'm not sure, however, *when* it was added and have noted that the list was updated today.

I'm still waiting for a response back from my tech support request, will report back with what they say asap.