Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 10 Plus smart cover after A10 failing?

profile.country.GB.title
AndyCalling
Explorer

Xperia 10 Plus smart cover after A10 failing?

Hi folks. My Xperia 10 Plus has just updated to Android 10. Excited about this as I'm hoping the touch detection bug will be sorted by this.

There is a problem though. I have the Sony flip cover case which has a smart function, being that it sends the phone to sleep when you close it and wakes it when you open it. Nice, and a main reason why I the official Sony branded cover.

So now the phone wakes when I lift the cover fine. When I close it though, the phone stays active and has a tendency to launch apps in my pocket.

How do I re-enable the close/sleep smart cover function? Can someone direct me to the appropriate setting please because I can't find it for the life of me and this is getting very irritating.

Tags (1)
17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

The function of the cover is induced with a little magnet inside.

Maybe check how it opens and closes.

To select the style cover goto settings -> display -> cover selection

Another thing you might try is open settings -> type 'cover' and find both cover selection and the Style Cover app.

Goto the app, tap on Storage an d clear cache & clear data, then restart the device to be shure.

After that reselect your style cover.

Tell us if there was a solution for you here.

profile.country.GB.title
AndyCalling
Explorer

Thanks for your help. The cover opens and closes fine. As mentioned when I manually put the phone to sleep then open the cover it wakes fine, so it is being physically detected as it ought. Also, this was working this morning right up until the point Android 10 was installed so it would be an amazing coincidence if there was a physical failure in the few minutes it took to update.

I think we have found the problem though. There is no such cover selection option in the display settings. Searching for 'cover' produces no results. There is no 'Style Cover' app though there never was under Android 9 either and it worked fine. Do you think this functionality been intentionally removed or is this just a bug?

I have searched for the app in the store but can't find it. Could you provide a link?

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Strange.....

We'll have to wait for someone to confirm if there is or isn't a style cover app on Xperia 10.

However this magnetic induced waking and closing of the device is there a long time for all Xperia devices.

I have put a magnet in third-party covers for Xperia Z3 and Xperia X and it worked flawless.

Just tested such a magnet on the upper left corner of my Xperia 1 and it works flawless as well.

Try uncovering your Xperia 10 and use the magnet of the flap to test.

I had a look at the user manual as well; there's no special mentioning of the style cover, nor anything special in the notes on the update to Android 10.

profile.country.GB.title
AndyCalling
Explorer

It is strange. I have tried removing it as you suggest, no change. I have tried a second Sony flip cover for Xperia 10 Plus fresh from the box (I always buy two for a backup) and the same thing occurs. It is detecting the cover because it wakes fine upon lifting the flap, but it fails to sleep with Android 10. I think it best to work out how to revert to Android 9 until they have this Android 10 working properly.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

I wouldn't revert because of this issue.

Besides, it's not possible to revert unless you walk byways, which I wouldn't advise to do.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

I'm sure the official "smart" or "style" covers require NFC to register, and a magnet to work, and have the app installed.

If it is the official,case, the SCS120 flip/stand case isn't NFC and has no software, so unlock is all Android 10 will do.

profile.country.GB.title
AndyCalling
Explorer

I think it is worth installing A9 to avoid this as it is extremely irritating, especially as the touch screen bug turns out to actually be worse with A10. Problem is, I don't know what you mean by 'walk byways' in this context. I was planning to do it at home? I was not planning to be walking any byways whilst reverting, I don't see how that would impact the process. I guess it has another meaning in this context, could you clarify?

profile.country.GB.title
AndyCalling
Explorer

I think you are right, that it is not the same mechanism on every device and does not need an app or use NFC on Xperia 10 Plus devices, but unlock (well wake up, unlock requires a finger print check etc.) is not all it does. It also locks (well, as I say, sleeps). I know this because it's been doing so since the release of the device in the UK market on A9. I can also confirm now that it STILL WORKS! Kind of. It works when in a call strangely, but not when out of a call as it always did before. Please note that I have owned this phone since release and so I'm not at the stage of trying to discover what it can do. Only why the feature has ceased to work upon A10 being released.

profile.country.FR.title
JM--RG
Explorer

Bonjour,

J'ai le même problème après la mise à jour système  A10, avez vous trouvé une solution ?

J'ai contacté Sony, et attend une réponse de leur part.

Merci