Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix notworking on Xperia 5

swePeso
Visitor

Netflix notworking on Xperia 5

Cannot connect to Netflix. Getting error "-1001".
Since Netflix is bundled I cannot uninstall the app, only uninstall updates. When doing so, I get version 1.0.0
Then I clear the cache and update the upp through Play Store, and get the same error again.

What do to now? Netlfix app worked on my previous phone, XZ1.

18 REPLIES 18
sparda333
Visitor

I've had this problem on my Xperia 1 since I got it brand new from O2 UK in November. I've never managed to get it to work no matter what I do, resetting the app, wiping/clearing app cache etc, doesn't matter still get the same problem. Reported it to Netflix as it seems to be an issue from their end and they have done nothing to fix it. Such a shame, what's the point of a 4K HDR screen if you can't watch anything that takes advantage of it outside of Youtube!  

Akrop
Visitor

i had the same problem with android 10
the only solution was back on Android 9
Laura0908
Visitor

I've just got a xperia 5, Netflix is loading but the videos are jumping and freezing. Seems to be picture as sound can still be playing with frozen screen. Annoying when my old Xperia xz1 worked perfectly fine. 

Austenite
Visitor

I have this same problem with stuttering and freezing in Netflix on my Xperia 5. OS is Android 10. It seems to always occur with anything that displays in 21:9 and uses the whole picture, "6 underground" is an easy example. Netflix is enabling Creator Mode. It occurs with Atmos.both enabled and disabled.

cbernales
Visitor

Tengo el mismo problema con mi Xperia 5!! Porfavor Sony, solucionen el problema de Netflix!!!!

I have the same problem with my Xperia 5 !! Please Sony, solve the Netflix problem !!!!

gt

Anna_V
Visitor

Did you solve your problem with video freezing? Have the same problem but nothing exept reboot helps. 

Austenite
Visitor

This is still a problem for me. I thought it wasn't doing it, but then I scrubbed ahead in the film, and now it is starting to do it again.

Android 10 (Security patch 1/1/2020, Google Play 1/1/2020, kernel 4.14.117-perf+, build 55.1.A.3.49)

Netflix 7.45.0 build 18

Creators Mode on all the time

Dolby Atmos is On

DSEE HX is Off

Internet test at 27mb/s

Anna_V
Visitor

After your previous post I've tried to switch off all video improvement options in settings and clean cashe, and it helps but not for ever I suppose. It seems like Xperia forcibly edit videos to present better colors and quality but when it is not enough memory or something like this the video become freezed. Therefore the reboot helps because cashe become clear. But it's only my guess, I don't know is it a real reason. 

profile.country.GB.title
Preytheon

I've had this on LOTS of phones - if you've got the same "-1001" error as me, the problem is actually more with the error message than anything else.

Your access is being blocked by Netflix as there seems to be a problem with the way VPN is handled on some devices... I use Lookout VPN, but I had the same problem with PIA (Private Internet Access) VPN - I'm not sure if this is a "newer Android" problem or a "Sony problem" as both of which worked on a much older Samsung tablet (Android 7!).

Try disabling VPN and logging into Netlfix again.