Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia 5ii usb cable to dac

profile.country.GB.title
JeremyFife
Explorer

Xperia 5ii usb cable to dac

Hi, hope you can advise - this should be simple but I'm finding it difficult to get an answer. Can I connect my 5ii by usb cable to an external DAC? I want to use an ifi Zen DAC, with a usb cable (type c to type b) and to stream hi-res audio to my hifi - not to headphones.

I don't want to buy a DAC if this doesn't work.

Do standard cables work?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

I suggest that you send a mail to the reseller.

Plus a link to a pdf .

From the text inside this pdf:

Connect the ZEN DAC via USB in between your PC, Mac or smart device – tablet or phone – and chill.

profile.country.GB.title
JeremyFife
Explorer

Thanks, I've asked ifi and await their response.

This is way harder to find information than it should be ... so far;

1. standard cables won't work, I need an OTG cable (wired differently to enable the DAC to be recognised as a host).

2. I still don't know if the audio quality from USB out on my Xperia will be hi-res. I've read that Android OS limits file quality and I cannot find out if that is true for USB output.  That's a Sony / Xperia question and I was expecting a clear answer from this forum.  I'm not even sure if the USB output bypasses the Xperia DAC (I think it does).

Two unanswered questions;

1. If I receive music at e.g. 24bit/96khz ... what comes out of the usb socket?

2. (Not an Xperia question to be fair) can I do this with Amazon ultra HD music?

profile.country.GB.title
Preytheon

Pretty sure you could do this with something like the Bang&Olufsen AFD-1200 32bit DAC that came with the LG G5 (H850) - that DAC was a replaceable "chin" on the phone, but it would also work as a standalone USB-C module that could be used with any PC/phone/tablet (I used it via USB-C on the LG G5 when I didn't want to unplug the chin and reboot the phone and also via USB micro on my old Galaxy S2 Tablet!).

Here's product: https://www.lg.com/africa/cell-phones/lg-AFD-1200 

Reason I mention it is that most people think they only work with the LG phones and there aren't many of those about, so you can get the B&O DAC for ~£20!